3-D Television

unit731

Hi,

I think there will be very little that actually makes use of the 3D part for quite some time. If I remember correctly there is only 1 3D blue ray movie available at the moment (Monsters vs Aliens?)

The PlayStation 3 did upgrade its firmware 2 days ago in preparation of 3D games, but none are confirmed yet either.

Frankly, unless you can get a good deal, I am not certain if it is worth it at the moment.

Sanuk!

Not true, many 3d Movies now coming out from the USA and other countries, most kids movies are in 3d.

There are two competing technologies, one uses expensive special "Flicker" glasses, the other uses polarizing glasses.

The second is a cheaper solution, visually as good, and nearly all TV's my the main manufacturers are 3d enabled already.

Look for "Sensio" on the information sheets.

It should NOT cost any extra. One of the Jap brands where the first

"At the 2009 CES, Sony and Panasonic showed 3D HDTV as product concepts. Nvidia showed off its ability to display games in 3D and several other smaller companies demonstrated various 3D technologies, some with polarized glasses, some with shutter-glasses. I liked Sony’s demonstrations the best because they used lightweight polarized glasses.

At the 2010 CES, Sony and Panasonic and other manufacturers demonstrated 3D television products that will ship later this year. Actually, any television with a refresh rate of 120hz or greater is ‘3D ready.’ You’ll still need synced shutter glasses and a 3D source, but the screen will be able to display both eye-images at a fast enough rate to avoid jitter.

At the 2011 and probably 2012 Consumer Electronics Shows, we’ll start seeing second-generation and third-generation 3D products, by which time the technology will have matured, the prices will have dropped, and we will have settled into a standard for 3D HDTV.

But some industry pundits have already weighed in, suggesting that 3D is a fad, isn’t something that consumers really want, and doesn’t lend itself to home viewingâ€â€particularly because the ‘goofy glasses’ are a hindrance. Plus the 3D sets are expensive, most consumers haven’t finished paying for their current HDTV sets, so why would they want to replace them this year?"

LINK

I missed a good bit of 3D Avatar. I am prone to motion sickness and watching with the 3D made me slightly nauseous. Won’t be going to a 3D movie again. Luckily they still offer the 2D version in theaters at the same time

Seems it not an unusual reaction.

TH

Link

The US Army Research Institute did a test study on the effects of simulation sickness. Half of their subjects experienced effects from a 3D flight simulator. The majority of subjects that experienced 3D sickness had their symptoms go away within an hour. Some had those symptoms for three or four hours, and a minority experienced them for around six hours.

Yes it's very unpleasant. At Emporium a few years back they had some very expensive 3D panels that didn't need glasses.

Some they placed on the ground floor near the restaurant, at the time I wondered how long before they go moved.

Was a few months.

3D isn't for everyone, and the trouble is the household users who get the motion sickness will refuse to watch with others,

I would skip 3-d for now. For me it is still a gimmick, and quite tiresome to look at. After a while it looks very artificial. The picture has depth, but the things and people you see, still look flat somehow. It's like looking at several 2-d layers at the same time.

I just watched Avatar in 2-D on my TV, and much preferred it to the 3-D experience in the theatre.

YMMV though.

Archived