Sub section on Vietnam ?

gawguy

Seems like there are a lot of tourists here and..well..maybe wouldn't call it "sanuk," but info would be helpful for planning.

I can provide a very relevant post because I was scammed by Hanoi airport taxi driver for..you wouldn't believe it.. about $500 US. It is called "money confusion" scam and it was worked to perfection on me. I will write it up in detail as I have reconstructed the script step by step. And, no, it did not involve me handing the driver that much dong..

It's a scripted scam run by two guys between the airport and hotel in Hanoi a distance of 40 km or so. It involves lying about the currency and a stop at an ATM machine.

For now just let me say: If you go to any VN airport and the driver asks you if this your first time in VN, drop him like a hot rock. That was step one - establish that the mark has never been VN before. Then it's game on!

There was no violence or threats, just smiles and lies and answers for everything. I'm sure there's Plan B for if the mark catches on a flips out.

Anyway..it was classic Matchstick Men kind of stuff.

Gaw Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Archived