Life Moving On

Kiwi

Greetings all,

I have been a quiet observer on this Forum for many a year.It is a great Forum to peruse and source info on travel etc...and I have made use of the info given.

Well I have a question...if I may.

Having spent the best part of 10years in an effort to build a capital base,I am now of the belief that matters allow me to seriously look at the possibility of a semi retirement situation in Phuket ( or similar situation ).

Are there any Forum members who would care to give me their personal views of retirement ( if that is the case of the individual ) in Thailand?

I assure each responder I will communicate with each.

I am in Thailand in November and hope by then to have made some decisions on the matter.

Thanks guys,

Kiwi.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm old and relatively healthy and live retired about 20kms out of Chiang Rai.

My lifestyle has moderated, it wasn't only expensive it was affecting my health and I now live what I consider to be a "normal" retirement except I live among Thais.

I certainly live a lot better life here than I would in Australia under similar financial circumstances.

Anyone who wanted a more active social life could live in one of the provincial cities among fellow farang retirees for a similar outlay.

Frank Leigh, I think Phuket sucks these days. It is very built up and expensive. I'd suggest somewhere like Hua Hin or Prachaub on the gulf coast, or maybe even somewhere around Chonburi - if you like the beach. Phuket is an expensive tourist trap these days, as is Samui. Live in a less touristy place but still close enough to a big city.

As J2 says your money goes a lot farther here. I could barely scrape by at home on my current income. Here I live fairly well.

why stick to just 1 place especially if renting anyway?

if phuket float your boat try it a couple of months then try somewhere else like huahin/pranburi/chaam/petcburi (descerning) or chonburi/rayong (budget minded).

then try major cities bkk/cm/korat (avoid CM in spring (feb/mar/apr/may) with it's haze/smog problem!).

with these experiences you could narrow down the best places for the various seasons & enjoy all year round paradises specifically suited for you while keeping discovering ;)

enjoy!

p.s. fuck you may even explore the neighbor countries!!

[color:blue]WorldFun[/color]

WorldFun has a good idea/solution. Rent in various areas. I could espouse the virtues of Hua Hin and it's balance of city life and rural life and the beaches nearby. Chiang Mai - a larger city but not as hectic as Pattaya or Bangkok.

If you are a city person - then grab a flat in Bangkok near the action. No need for a car or motobike. And taxi and skytrain nearby - as are many hospitals.

Rural life, city life, expat life. Many choices.

It also depends on whether the OP is going to settle with the love of his life or intends to spread his seed among thousands.

Personally if I ever decided to go back to serious mongering I probably wouldn't have a permanent base in Thailand, short term rental would be adequate, then if things got too hot or the batteries needed recharging then back to the home country.

Archived