Life Moving On

Kiwi

It also depends on whether the OP is going to settle with the love of his life or intends to spread his seed among thousands.

Personally if I ever decided to go back to serious mongering I probably wouldn't have a permanent base in Thailand, short term rental would be adequate, then if things got too hot or the batteries needed recharging then back to the home country.

There are few posts anywhere that I agree with 100%, but this is one of them. For someone willing to settle down with one woman, there may be a degree of sanity on offer in Thailand - for the rest, I think the nightlife would grind us down. I know there are exceptions, but it wouldnt work for me.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, renting is the way to go. It give you flexibility should you decide to move. With a little due diligence you can find an excellent place for little. Many farangs buy places and only come to Thailand a few weeks a year. Many are quite happy to rent out their place as it provides income and a 'caretaker' for their empty abode.

I've resided in two different condos during the last 7-years. Each cost the owner over 2-mil baht and I've never paid over 8-9k baht/mo.

Also, be judicious and don't bring too much luggage. A few personal items (photos, a framed picture(?), etc., but other than a few clothes and your laptop everything else can be obtained cheaply here.

Hey Guys,

Thanks.

I do value ALL comments and these make for better end decisions.

I have cracked the '50' a few years back - hence the intention of evaluating life in Thailand.

1.I have been to Thailand on 10 occassions - however, one only sees life thru one set of eyes.

2.I am a resident in SA and a close neighbour is on his way to retire to Phuket - Rawai.I have been there and found ideals there.

3.There is no singular destination I prefer at the present - have seen Hua Hin and liked the town.

4.Bangkok ( city life ) I have had my whole life.

Enough said.

5.The sea has a strong attraction and the comments on towns near the sea - appeal.

6.No partner - however have a long relationship.

7.The comments on renting are valid - I will have the needed cash reserves and therefore I do seek a self owned abode.

If any of you chaps have the time and energy - please e-mail me.I am back in Thailand in November and would love to meet up.A few pints is a great way to pass the time and seek info.

Best regards,

Kiwi.

The validity of renting had taken a fall and though advisable until you decide where you want to be, buying is a hedge against all future rental price increases and that includes those from adverse FX movements.

Don't forget big ticket items such as a truck or a car. Easy to live with in some very specific circumstances but once you have it you realise how much easier life is and it does significantly cut down costs you would otherwise have overlooked.

Booze and birds. Those are the two big price items in any budget. My advice is to get a girl who has a job. Full blown hooker is not what I mean.

Remember that if your home life is shit, because you live in shit then you will go out more and waste money. If you have a nice home with nice things and a motor of your own, you do not have to hit the bars each night.

Booze and birds. Those are the two big price items in any budget.

To be more precise, I think you mean booze at bar prices, the price of alcohol in Thailand is quite good if bought at a shop or even a 7/11.

My advice is to get a girl who has a job. Full blown hooker is not what I mean.

Very sage advice. Having a normal working girl, who works in a bank, hospital or government office (normal business hours) earning 20,000 baht per month makes life so much easier, and happier.

One could always ride bareback on Sukhumvit, and then, there is a good chance you could get to meet a nurse and get to flash the willy at the same time.

Riding bareback and flashing willys on Sukhumvit are not endorsed or recommended by this poster :beer:

Archived