World Cup 2010

BadaBing

Okay, Blatter and Platini aren't omnipotent dictators, although they act as if they are. They are elected. Therefore the stance against video technology HAS to be a consensus decision to some degree, right? They have to be elected and won't be in their respective positions forever.

What I can't understand is why the stance? I did a bit of wiki-ing and there has been allegations of corruption in FIFA. That doesn't surprise me one bit. My second question is 'who stands to gain?' from no video technology? Is there some all powerful referee union/mafia group? I don't understand it.

We have a similar issue in terms of stubborness about out uni college football championships (division 1, akin to the EPL and lower divisions as there are 3 divisions of american football in college). Its the ONLY college sport/league NOT to have a true championship with playoffs/knockouts format. The lower divisons do.

In football who is profiting from keeping technology out?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately ... I had hoped for Ghana they would have been the first African team to make the semi finals. and one of my best friends and fellow comedians, Joey, is from Ghana. We had already decided to go and watch a Ghana - Holland match together ....

My pick of Holland winning it all is still alive but truth is that pick was pulled out of my ass..lol. I just had a feeling about them. None of the teams this world cup seem like world beaters including Spain who look good but I thought would wilt under the pressure having not been there before like Italy, Germany or Brazil.

My prediction of Germany v. Holland final may still come through.

Didn't really care much about the Ghana v. Uruguay game but Ghana winning would have made a good story. Supposedly there is some family story about my dad's side descending from Ghanian tribesmen (Ashanti) captured by the Brits a couple hundred years ago (maybe BS, who knows :content: ) so I guess I would have went with them or if Wales had been in the world cup, since my surname is Welsh in origin..lol. (and its not Jones).

Germany v. Argentina is intriguing and along with the Holland v.Brazil game, the world cup is getting exciting with some interesting match ups.

I did a lot of reading on the teams that were in the tournament that I didn't know and Ghana won the U20 world cup and obviously has a great cadre of young players.

The scouting report said they didn't have a quality or dominant striker. Sound defensively but unable to score as much as needed.

Maybe the family story is true, I'd be proud if it is. One of these days I'll tell the Welshman story...interesting...short version is an immigrant Welshman married one of my ancestors in the late 1800s and his family disowned him over it...hmm, I just told it, huh? lol.

Anyway, I digress as usual.

Germany v. Argentina...two different styles from two very good teams. Tasty match up.

The Brazilians seem to have lost their composure. Credit to the Dutch for not losing theirs after being scored on seemingly rather easily and being outplayed initially.

A few current and former Arsenal players in that game as well: Gilberto Silva, Gio Van Bronckhurst, Robin Van Persie.

Getting back to the African sides, the potential is obviously there for any one to see and they lack infrastructure and organization from what I hear. With more players being sought by European sides it can only help them. South Africa is one of the richer African countries, diverse ethnically but don't have a correspondingly good team in comparison with their neighbors in Africa which defies logic to some extent.

You gotta put your money on the Germans (again) for the WC. Solid, technical and thorough. They destroyed the Argies clinically.

On the plus side of England going out of the WC, at least we put one (no, make that two) against the Germans :)

Archived