I Want to Post My Experiences Tonight, but Won't, Sick of Being Slamme

expat

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CT was a compulsive liar

I'd say that he exagerated the truth rather than tell blatent lies.

Know for sure that he was in negotiations with the "movers and shakers" amongst the expat bar owners in Pattaya but IMHO he wa "A Dog Staring at Aeroplane Wing" to use the Thai idiom!

There are surely only really four reasons to ever post anything on this forum.

1. To impart facts, news, information.

2. To ask advice, or seek opinions.

3. To present advice or opinions.

4. To stir things up, vent frustrations, and let off steam by attacking other posters either satirically or viciously.

If (1), then I think that provided your information is accurate and unbiased, other board members will largely appreciate your posts.

If (2), then you invite response, and you cannot really grumble if some of the responses are not ones you want to hear.

If (3), you must expect that your opinions or advice may not be shared by some other posters, and that they will disagree with you. Some may raise good points and might even change your opinion slightly, others may raise points that you totally disagree with, while yet others will simply spurn and heap scorn upon your ideas in a way that may not be constructive.

There are clearly posters who tend towards (4). A literate and humorous 'roasting' can add value to a forum. But it's also true that some posts misquote, twist the argument, or are just insulting.

Occasionally, posters cross a line, and have to be removed from the board, but I think that the moderators here do a pretty good job of leaving debates to run their course, and only intervene in truly extreme cases.

It does seem a little strange to me that you started this whole post simply to say that you didn't want to post.

You have a total right to do so, and I don't want to get too personal, but have you noticed that your posts do seem to attract a higher than average number of responses and flames? I don't think anyone here knows you personally or has anything against you, so logic would dictate that this must be something to do with the attitude you present in your posts.

I don't think you are a 'troll' just posting to attract attention, and you seem to be genuinely disturbed by the reactions. So maybe there's something to be learned here.

It's quite extraordinary that even a post of yours that says you aren't going to post inspires 9 pages of reaction.

You obviously are in some way attracted to this board, and have things you want to say, otherwise you simply wouldn't visit.

But have you thought that the board maybe wouldn't attract your interest as much if everyone simply agreed with each other, and there was no good argument?

Would you really want your every post to be answered with 'Oh how wise you are. We all agree.'?

In a strange way it is more healthy and productive if someone answers that you are a whiny tosspot.

Whether you post or not is up you.

You make a good point that hostile reactions may discourage other posters, but really you must surely know that it's pretty damn unlikely that hostile posters will suddenly feel terribly guilty upon reading your post and lighten up.

It's also not likely or desirable that moderators should take a more censorious approach.

Therefore you really only have a few options:

1. You find the general board attitude so unacceptable that you do indeed stop posting.

2. You either propose changes to the board to make it more acceptable to you, or you set up your own board with your own rules.

3. You accept the board, warts and all, accept that like all posters you'll take a beating every now and again, and try to enhance the board experience with informative and interesting posts.

I hope you choose the third option, because it seems to me that diversity of opinion is important to any board, and you help to provide that.

ranma

CT was a compulsive liar

I'd say that he exagerated the truth rather than tell blatent lies.

Know for sure that he was in negotiations with the "movers and shakers" amongst the expat bar owners in Pattaya but IMHO he wa "A Dog Staring at Aeroplane Wing" to use the Thai idiom!

I tend to think a lot, if not all, of what he said was 100% bullshit. I Agree with Bust,

3. You accept the board, warts and all, accept that like all posters you'll take a beating every now and again, and try to enhance the board experience with informative and interesting posts.

I hope you choose the third option, because it seems to me that diversity of opinion is important to any board, and you help to provide that.

ranma

I appreciate your thoughts and largely agree with them. I think there's a fourth option, and that is rather than to accept the warts, to try to smooth them out. That is what I was trying to do.

I never threatened to leave the board or stop posting. I simply pointed out that I was withholding a post because of the unfair attack tactics used by some responders. It actually was not the first time I had withheld a post, and that was what made me want to fight back.

That may have happened to Christian Troy and Piggie and a few others.......

CT had serious health problems; I saw him the week he left Pattaya to return to Germany. I have since lost track of him!

S1

Zoe zat is why I not zee the Vanker One helicopter fly by anymore. :idea:

I agree with most of what you say,

My request is for contributors to post constructively so that we all learn and retain as many members as possible which only enriches the forum.

For instance, typical post:

“I took a BG. She was a starfish, no shower, no BJ, so I only gave her 500 baht. She threatened to smash up the room, and have me beaten up.â€Â

Negative (doesn’t help anyone except the smug poster to get his jollies):

“Som nam na, you fuckwit.â€Â

Constructive:

“If you’re a newbie, before you pay the barfine don’t be shy about asking if she’ll do what you want, and fix a price ST or LT. If you make a mistake, smile, pay up, and put it all down to experience… we’re not talking cattle ranches here.. only $30.â€Â

I admit I don’t sound very constructive in previous posts above. My excuse is: if someone insults me, I give back as good as I get. Must be my Scottish ancestry: “Nemo me impune lacessitâ€Â

My other pet hates are racism, religionism, bigotry and bully boyism. I always react to them when I see them on a public forum.

:beer:

Archived