Tourism done properly ....

gobbledonk

I dont know how many cliched tourism promos I've seen for Thailand, and the thinly veiled ads for resorts and condos are about as bad as it gets. Watching Rick Stein catch the train from BKK to Surat Thani, with a stopover in Hua Hin, I could almost be back on that infuriatingly slow train myself. Unlike the endlessly pithy narration on many of the tourism promos, Rick openly complains about the 'rickety old train' and the impact of tourism on Hua Hin - he might be there for the food, but its the overall feel he gives you for Thailand that impresses me. No cheesy music, no panning across to capture random honeys on the Soi - fantastic. I no longer damn you, Rick Stein :)

Yep. I particularly love the way he berates the 'director' to camera and drags him into the shot to berate him some more. Said director deserves it after suggesting that Rick might like to try dog when they were in Vietnam - fully agree that its a total wank for foodies to seek out food like that simply to be able to 'impress' their social set back in the old country with their daring ways.

Archived