BAHT vs VALUE

Sporty

The reason it can be cheap to go out drinking and partying in the Isaan is many just bring along their own bottle of cheap whiskey, buy reasonable cheap mixers and ice, and have fun while watching costs. Eat before going out, drink a bit before going out, smoke whatever before going out. :up:

3 guys out for the night, all chip in for a bottle of 100 Pipers at 350 a bottle. Drink watered/iced down cheap whiskey all night and flirt with the staff and dancers, chat and in general have fun. No one actually gets pissed. No hangover the next morning, and you are only out maybe 500 baht for a long night out with the guys in the agogo bars.

Can't do that in the BKK and Pattaya agogos and beer bars. Here it is the norm for the Thais... and many of the expats.

Also, the dancers do not normally bother the punters for lady drinks. It's not done here. The ladies will usually (unless they know you well) not sit with you unless you ask them to as well. One difference is there is a charge/fee if they sit with you (100 baht per hour I think? Not certain as it has been a while).

It is different up here, but a night out can be enjoyable, inexpensive, and fun. A different scene really. (Personally though I'd rather be in Bangkok right now in Soi Cowboy consoling frightened BGs. 55555555!) :drool::up: :nahnah: But I know it would cost me, in many ways more than baht too! 5555555!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Cent - thats a welcome tonic from all this doom and gloom about how its now impossible to have a good time for a few hundred baht.

When I left Nana after the last trip, I had 3/4 bottle of 100 Pipers left over - gave it to the woman who sells grog out on the footpath from 2am and she was absolutely thrilled.

Being accustomed to the insincerity of a lot of the girls, I was really surprised by how happy such a small gift made her. Not sure what kind of profit she turned on that bottle, but it really made her night.

Yeah, the key is being able to bring your own bottle into these establishments. Lots of cheap yet drinkable (in soda water/ice) whiskies and scotches in Thailand. 100 Pipers is one, and there are many of these boozes available in Tesco, BigC, Makro, etc. Mixers are cheap up here, and not bad in normal Thai places in Bangkok even. It's the Farang bars that are expensive, or the high end clubs and pubs in Bangers. I've spent many nights with friends in their neighborhood bars, Thai places, and spent little money doing exactly this. It's the Thai way really. No need to spend thousands of baht just to have some fun on a night out.

Now if you want to get laid by pros, that will cost you... usually, even in Surin or other provincial towns. Especially if you are the type to flash about buying loads of lady drinks, and drinking the 'good stuff' yourself. But, having a fun night out doesn't always mean you need to be going to agogos and buying a hooker. Chillin' with good buddies, flirting (hey, fuck the wife or GF 'before' going out with your buddies) with the pretty lasses, and drinking sensibly and inexpensively, rather than to excess on labels to impress (lookie me... I'm cool, I'm drinking the good shit!). With mixers it doesn't really matter what you are drinking. 555555. Helps save your liver for a future date too. :-)

TH and others could certainly answer this one

They are linked but to what % I don't know and they both basically rely on a country's economy fundamentals...

Thailand is still good (most western countries would kill for such a GDP) but if the mess (and possibly another round later) goes on they might suffer...but probably not to the point of having a 0% growth...

What worries me more about Thailand -> with all this going on if it continues then there will be plenty more people fired. (tourism, small and medium companies, shops and so on..)

Then Thailand might still have a GDP of 4-6% but it could face a huge social pressure from all the unemployed people...and there is no real social security net there

They are linked but to what % I don't know and they both basically rely on a country's economy fundamentals...

I think thats true to some extent, but I know that the Aussie dollar shot up when we started raising interest rates when the rest of the world was still lowering them (or had 0% ..). Obviously, the Reserve Bank couldnt raise interest rates if the fundamentals werent there, but its still a confidence game - it only takes China and India decide they dont need several of our outputs, including education, and we are a banana republic.

Well at the moment it does seem the Australian economy is doing quite well (compared to other western ones)

You mean other western countries like Portugal and Spain ? :neener:

We arent actually a 'Western' country - more a Caucasian (depending on the city ..) outpost just below Indonesia. I had often wondered why Asians hadnt colonised Australia centuries ago - the conventional explanation is that the North/NorthWest of Oz is just too inhospitable, and that sounded fair enough to me. It was only when I read how small many Asian cities were as late as 1850 that I realised that there werent 200 million people to our North looking for somewhere to live in the 1600s when the Portuguese and Dutch were sailing down the coast of WA, looking at the terrain and saying 'Thanks, but no thanks'.

Not sure that I can imagine Australia with 50 million people, but Indonesia is a much scarier proposition at 400 million or so - we really need the supervolcano they keep promising us.

Archived