Nick Nostitz...live action report.

chuckwoww

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that is my whole point, Nick is not pro red or pro yellow, he is for the poor people.....

IMHO Nick should make it very clear where he is standing!

He is not like us who post their opinions on the web, which is only read by a small peer group. Nick is a reporter who is producing information which is being spread over the net and almost probably being fed into international media as well.

If he isn't careful, he will become a part of Mr. T's and the Red's propaganda machinery.

Another problem is, if an journalist has a connection to a certain group in such a violent conflict, that this connection might haunt him in the future and will discredit his whole work.

Just imagine that the Reds win, Mr. T. returns and imposes a (maybe popular) dictatorship and restarts the drug war and uses this as a tool to eliminate all those who faught against him...

They are winning the propaganda war and Mr. T can throw a lot of money around to buy more propaganda.

Are they winning the propoganda war? I live with a Thai whose family and province were previously sympathetic to Thaksin. I asked her just now how she feels about the red shirts, how her family feel, how people she knows feel. The answer indicates that they've very much lost sympathy. That was also the feeling I got as I watched Thais watch the broadcast last night with the army spokesman going through footage of various incidents.

I think Abhisit's starting to do a better job of explaining his side. After all, is he much more illegitate than, say, Gordon Brown or David Cameron even? Gordon Brown wasn't chosen by the people, he was chosen by their representatives (whom the people voted for in a free election, the same as the Thais). David Cameron didn't have a majority of the people's vote but, when a coalition formed with the agreement of making him the PM (similar to Abhisit). What other country's PM would be as patient as Abhisit, letting a group of protestors barricade off the equivalent of Oxford Street for more than a month!? Laughably they accuse him of being a brutal dictator but what dictator would have let people do that? They're breaking the law and he's simply upholding it, as any civilised country would. I've heard ordinary Thais note that, if Thaksin were PM, he would have had the protestors moved by force, if not killed, within a few days...

With him waiting that long, appearing to be so reasonable, offering elections by November, I can't see how he's losing the propaganda war.

They are winning the propaganda war and Mr. T can throw a lot of money around to buy more propaganda.

With him waiting that long' date=' appearing to be so reasonable, offering elections by November, I can't see how he's losing the propaganda war.[/quote']

Mr. T. is currently fighting two propaganda wars. I don't know about the war within LOS, but soon we will almost probably many Youtube videos, blog articles, opinion pieces in major newsmedia depicting the current government as a brutal regime and the virtue of the Reds and Mr. T.

See below quotes from the link in my previous post:

What to expect from Thaksin's new lobbyist Robert Amsterdam:

So Thaksin needs an effort promoting his cause in a way that is understandable to an international audience.

Amsterdam and Peroff is exactly that: less lawyers and more high-profile public relations. An aggressive strategy undertaken by Amsterdam and Peroff would fit with Thaksin's previous major lobbying effort, USA for Innovation, carried out by the PR company Edelman.

This means we can expect articles, press releases, and opinion pieces in major outlets like Huffington Post demonizing the government and touting the Red Shirts, but written from the perspective of a reasoned opinion piece. Along with this will likely be an advocacy blog for democracy in Thailand delivered on behalf of the Red Shirt movement.

Points that might be put forward for an international audience by Amsterdam and Peroff

* The prominence of the military in Thai politics (this was one of the key Edelman talking points put forward in 2007). Not that there is any immediate danger of a coup, but keeping pressure on the military not to act further pressures the Prime Minster and limits his options to control an unruly protest.

* How human rights of the protesters are being violated and how international law is being violated by the government

* How the government is (supposedly) not democratically elected

* How the government is engaging in censorship

* Keying in on government pronouncements like "CRES okays live rounds against protesters"

* Attacks on a wide range of unrelated issues to besiege the government--such as intellectual property violations and sex trafficking (this was also an Edelman tact)

The PM is patient (or impotent but all the same) and doesn't want to(or can't) use full force to stop the insurgents.

The Royal Thai Army is incredibly professional in the face of something they haven't been trained to handle. (more than a few western units/armies would have gone trigger happy already -> armies are not trained nor intended to stop riots)

Something many people seem to forget -> the BKK people are also doing a good job at remaining quiet. (by this I mean they don't gang up and publicly hunt reds even if more and more Bangkokians are certainly pissed)

The situation is not good, people are dying but nobody went crazy yet....except for the reds who keep pushing the stakes higher -> and the more they do so the less options the army will have.

I think they are winning the propaganda war outside of Thailand - as long as the Red Shirts are poor farmers with sling shots and the army are bad guys with rifle.

The non-Thai media seems to have a bias which is pro-Red Shirt which to me is pro-Thaksin by default.

Archived