Nick Nostitz...live action report.

chuckwoww

Takky was an "outsider" who tried to displayce the "Bangkok elite" Chinese with his own friends and family. It became a turf war.

I know, I was just :stirthepo:stirthepo

I find it ironic that his supporters claim that it is a class struggle against the "Bangkok Elite" where as in fact the person they are supporting wanted to be accepted by the "Bangkok Elite"

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PS. Has anyone noticed that if you do a google image search on any topic discussed at length here' date=' a bunch of Thai360 avatars show up in the deeper pages. :D [/quote']

Mine there?

Now that you ask, my research shows that it takes a bit of extra looking for .gif files, but yes.

From what I've seen of Nostitz' work, I'd call him a photojournalist. Don't need to work for a newspaper to be one -- if you think of Life magazine or the famous European "illustrated" mags, those photographers are photojournalists. Robert Frank was one. Sebastio... what'sisname ... who does the refugee books. Just looked it up: Sebastio Salgado.

Photographers like these might also be called documentary photographers.

My understanding of the word photojournalist is somoeone who reports using images rather than writing. Weegee in New York is prime example, with all his photos of mob killings, crime scenes, nightlife sleaze, etc.

And Nick has actually done some writing, and if he has had it published then it'd be fair to call him a journalist -- just doing 2 different jobs.

(sorry I'm late, this post missed the wave of posts on this particular aspect of this topic)

In a similar discussion about Stickman's site, I said that Stickman never claimed to be a journalist (after he posted some recent unrest photos with commentary).

In Nick's case, I'm inclined not to pigeonhole the guy and his work as one thing or another. He has to make a living, like everyone else, but I'm certain he's not solely motivated by $. He's just extremely interested and inquisitive about weird shit that he really cares about it. Might be a German trait. :D

Whatever...the journalistic lines are getting blurred now. For example, I'm looking for the latest news on Thailand's near civil war on the (old) Nanaplaza message board. Go figure. :dunce:

Ah the drug war. Even that had people divided. I don't see outside perception as a huge factor but I agree Mt. T is using every weapon he can lay his hands on.

It takes something like this to get carew and bibblies posting. ;)

Not at all. If I saw posts about girls with really big tits, I'd be posting to find out exactly where they were...

As for outside perception, I maintain that Thaksin is ill-equipped to deal with foreign media who, if they start to get into the issue in any depth, will tear him apart compared to the western-educated Abhisit. The timid, boyish, Abhisit hardly comes across as an arrogant tyrant, does he? Compare that to Thaksin...

If you're going to appeal to the western media, eventually you'll have to accept proper interviews. And they would tear him apart.

As for outside perception, I maintain that Thaksin is ill-equipped to deal with foreign media who, if they start to get into the issue in any depth, will tear him apart compared to the western-educated Abhisit. The timid, boyish, Abhisit hardly comes across as an arrogant tyrant, does he? Compare that to Thaksin...

If you're going to appeal to the western media, eventually you'll have to accept proper interviews. And they would tear him apart.

All true. Ahbisit does come across as more likeable than Thaksin. It wouldn't be hard to make Thaksin look stupid. But which which media looks at things in depth? Hardtalk? Paxman? They are pretty good at tearing strips of African despots but they'll go easy on Thailand.

I think the media coverage we're getting from CNN and BBC is as balanced as we're going to get. They only have a few minutes to summarize a complex situation and they have to be careful with the terms they use. They obviously aren't going to call Ahbisit an ineffectual puppet or the Redshirts drunken thugs which is the language some would like to hear.

Archived