Nick Nostitz...live action report.

chuckwoww

bibblies,

"....in the BBC website and Yahoo, before checking my email."

Could you edit your post to make it more accurate and factual, please? Delete the "checking my e-mail" and substitute "slamming (insert name) again before ordering coffee/tea/beer from room service".

I am not in Thailand, which in itself is a crime, but talk to Thai friends non-stop, courtesy of Skype and very cheap rate phone cards.

This is a no win situation and the person with unlimited funds will do anything to come back as as a hero.

This is only the beginning and not one single person on this board, so far, has got the strategy of how far and how low he is willing to go to do that right. Which is interesting to me.

Foreign perception in this fight is everything and to a certain person in exile far more important than thousands of dead Isaan farm boys.

How many died in the drug war?

Glad to see you back and wish you would post more.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well thats funny bb i have a book by nick about the yellow/red crisis' date=' with words and pictures!![/quote']

so, now one needs to be a journalist / reporter in order to publish a book ?

funny comment :)

next time you see / hear / mail him, ask what is written on his work visa, ok ?

photographer.

BB

BB, you can say what you want, but what Nick does is photo-journalism - and in these days you could almost call him a war photographer in the tradition of those who worked in Kosovo, Beirut, e.g.

Nick is going to the front lines for to depict the live action, be it at previous demonstrations where he was in contact with ordinary people, security, secret agents or soldiers or this weekend when he entered the 'free fire' zone, in the full knowledge that he was risking his life, for to document the more and more violent conflict.

As the hero of all war photographer, Robert Capa, once said: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough,". Capa and many other got killed following this rule. Nick is definitely following this rule as well by putting him self in the line of fire.

My concern is, as I wrote before, that if he doesn't put his photos and writings in the right context, he might not be seen as an journalistic source, but as an activist, who in the end might become a mouth piece of Mr. T propaganda machine (even he never had and has this intention).

His last report could be perfectly used by the Reds for to show that they are all peaceful, unarmed common folks who fight against a brutal, lawless regime...

Anyway, it would be great to ask Nick, how he defines his profession and his self-given assignment to document the polical turmoil since several years.

As the hero of all war photographer, Robert Capa, once said: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough,". Capa and many other got killed following this rule. Nick is definitely following this rule as well by putting him self in the line of fire.

and a picture says a thousand words.....

I would venture to guess, if you asked him, he'd say he's a photographer, first and foremost, an author, and photojournalist (a distant third, if even that high on the list). He doesn't get paid by the publication in question, but these works serve to enhance his reputation.

Incidentally, while googling for interviews containing his self description (couldn't quite find one), I came across this poster. Looks like the pic was taken at one of the notorious upstairs Midnite Bar parties early in the century. Hope that's not you in the pic, Frash! :p

nostitz-1.jpg

PS. Has anyone noticed that if you do a google image search on any topic discussed at length here, a bunch of Thai360 avatars show up in the deeper pages. :D

As the hero of all war photographer' date=' Robert Capa, once said: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough,". Capa and many other got killed following this rule. Nick is definitely following this rule as well by putting him self in the line of fire.

[/quote']

[color:red]and a picture says a thousand words....[/color].

Not really. The context in which a picture is published defines what you read in it.

Just change the text and you'll see in Nick's pictures thugs.

He describes himself as a documentarian here....seems to cover it..

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2009/NickNostitz.htm

Missed that part. Cheers.

[color:blue]So are you more a photographer or a journalist these days? How do you see yourself?

It depends on the subject matter. When I cover the protests, I have to work in a very documentary style, very journalistically. While on the other projects, or projects planned for the future, I prefer working a lot more as a photographer. I believe that with what the book is about I have to do justice to the historical perspective and not to my own personal quirks. There are subjects where I can live out my very personal views, but the subject of this socio-political conflict is not one of them.

[/color]

Archived