Influence of this trouble on neighbours?

Coss

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The other countries would benefit from uncertainty in Thailand.

Umm, try and tell that to anyone in the tourism industry in Cambodia! Bangkok is the bug through which many visitors to Cambodia go and troubles in Thailand can mean a large drop in visitors to Cambodia - which is exactly what is happening. A mate of mine runs a guesthouse in Siem Reap and he his numbers are way down.

bug = NZ way to call 'hub'???

One thing is sure if this lasts for too long there will be at least some investments diverted to other Asian economies, how much? No idea

Also, some manufacturing companies looking to set up new production plants will probably pick another country -> why take the risk to have your factory burned down, or workers not able to come to work, or having your products blocked etc..

If this mess continues for quite a few months with a higher level of violence then Thailand's GDP will certainly suffer more than just a 0.2-0.3% loss.

(and no I am not talking about the drop in tourists or the gogo bars closed)

Just IMO

bug = NZ way to call 'hub'???

I don't speak Kiwi, but for certain Cambo is an extension destination for tourists visiting Thailand, kinda like NZ for those touring Australia :susel::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously, the strife in Thailand HAS to hurt Cambodia and neighboring countries.

Ermmm...furthermore, considering the yellow shirts' shutdown of Swampypoon a few years ago...

Imagine the same scenario in Sillypore, if travel via that airport was dodgy, and what impact it would make upon travelers to Indonesia from the northern hemisphere, what with SQ being the de-facto international airline of Indonesia since 1997. Same same, but different. :wink:

Maybe one of the countries will be the new Siamese Republic of Lanna and Isaan, with new Malaysian border up around Surat Thani?

Then the brilliant Hi-so Chinese elite Bangkokians can take their rightful place as world economic leaders without the buffaloes around their neck to drag them down?

Imagine the same scenario in Sillypore

I guess we should never say 'never', but that is the one country in SE Asia where I cannot see that happening. For all the 'nanny state'/'overachiever' cliches we like to laugh at, that little island has grown from a tropical slum in 1960 to an economic powerhouse. Lee Kuan Yew has been criticised for his ruthlessness in discrediting his opposition, but its hard to argue with the results, whatever the cost. They do a very good job of indoctrinating young Singaporeans in the need to do things like National Service : I'm sure there are pockets of dissent, but it would take a major shift in their economic fortunes for Singaporeans to engage in Red Shirt-style shenanigans, and I cant see the Police/Defence Force allowing it to get to the stage where any part of the economy was threatened.

As I said, never say never - I just think that would be among the last countries to embrace anarchy. I'm not sure where the big multinationals will go if things get too hot in Thailand, but given that they do business in places where employees are frequently kidnapped and occasionally murdered, I'm not entirely sure that they will be abandoning multi-million dollar plant and expertise to set up anew in PP anytime soon.

Archived