Ronnie James Dio dies

Mekong

Man, that album cover takes me back - life was so much simpler then, wasnt it ? I agree that Man on the Silver Mountain was their best track - I also had the Trower albums, along with -

Jeff Beck

Tommy Bolin

Rory Gallagher

Thin Lizzy

Budgie

Rick Wakeman

Van Halen

Rush

and a host of the 'uaual suspects' like KISS. Gave all my albums away when I joined the Army in 1987, and I couldnt go back to vinyl now. Made the mistake of reading up on high-end audio over the last couple of years, and the price of a decent turntable is way out of my reach, not to mention the phono stage and the record cleaning machine the serious types use.

(High end audio makes the money BMs spend on bar hopping look like pocket change - there is a pair of speakers sitting in a Sydney showroom with a sticker price of 375K. You can still buy a house on the outskirts of Brissie for that sort of money.)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also had the Trower albums, along with -

Jeff Beck

Tommy Bolin

Rory Gallagher

Thin Lizzy

Budgie

Rick Wakeman

Van Halen

Rush

OMG

A bloody Aussie who has heard of one Cardiff's finest ever bands BUDGIE

I am sure that Geddy Lee of Rush modelled himself on Burke Shelley as a Bassists / Vocalists.

One of my favourite songs of all time, and one I have been known to play now and again when with fellow muso's is "PARENTS" by Budgie Enjoy

tBFIIPYVu2w

Budgie rocked, and this was an era when it was OK to have a metal band with a name like that, or Uriah Heep/Jethro Tull - now it needs to be Cannibal Corpse or Cradle of Filth : the kids just wouldnt get it if Budgie kicked off today. I was a big Rush fan too, but I listened to their stuff for so many years that its a bit ho-hum now. If the Swedes and Finns hadnt reinvented melodic metal with a big dose of Iron Maiden, I may have lost interest in the genre completely.

Hi,

"Van Halen"

Saw them live at an invitation only event for the launch of the Balance album. Couldn't have been more than 200 people at the event, full open bar as well for 2 hrs.

Fantastic evening!

Also saw them live at an open air concert as very special guests of Bon Jovi. After Van Halen finished their set and Bon Jovi got on stage, 1 in 6 people (include me) left the field :)

Must have given the Bon Jovi guys a nice moral boost :)

Sanuk!

GD: Seen everyone on your list except for Van Halen. Tried to see them twice at local parties before the were HUGE, but both parties got busted up before I got in...word got around.

Sure, Black Sabbath will forever be associated with Ozzie.

Therefore, I hereby submit to you (laughingly) the argument that The Scorpions were never the same after they lost Michael Schenker to UFO.

First, the BEFORE video, then a tune from the second album after they lost Michael and WENT COMMERCIAL!!! :evil:

The good ol' days weren't so bad, were they, when even the commercial crap sounded pretty damned good? :):applause::drool:

The verdict, I leave to any of our discerning audience who gives a fuck. :content:

With Michael:

yxnaK2RN_Fw

Without Michael:

VcVmXv-dD80

And let's not forget those bands that seemed corny or campy, at first, and kept getting better.

I remember when my buddy came back from Ireland with a 45 of this one from Thin Lizzy (never heard of 'em):

I thought the lyrics were lame, but I liked the almost bubble-gum sound, and I grew to appreciate the band over time.

kDM469h7880

EDIT: The above version's missing a Big Time guitar solo...sorry.

Thin Lizzy was always under-rated. Phil lynott was pretty fucking special and I wish he'd been around longer.

Never listened to the Scorpions much but...'the zoo,' man i LOVE that track. bottled horsepower ready for the night. or something. :)

Ozzie left an impressive library but don't care for his MTV show or what he's become. Him and Gene Simmons and many others. Little warm and fuzzy caricatures for primetime (and a fat check). Fuck them. At least Dio did it with a little style right up unto the end. My understanding is that Sharon Osborned sued thus forcing him and the old sabbath crew to be called 'heaven and hell' when they toured. fuck her too.

I like Phil Lynott because he shouted for rounds for me on two separate occasions, in Dublin bars. Only because he ordered next to me and I had an American accent.

Welcome to Ireland! Simple :beer:

He was apparently a regular, so everyone left him alone, and I was impressed by the way he was treated as just one of the boys in those pubs.

A 'rock star' would have little privacy in the US, even in those days.

Archived