Where does Thailand go from here?

KimDidMeGood

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Thaksin and his money behind these guys, anything could happen.

The City Halls in Udon, Ubon and Khon Khaen have been set ablaze. There is violence in Samut Prakan.

Central World is ablaze.

Bangkok under curfew tonight.

This could all get out of hand very quickly.

Personally it mystifies me why the gov didn't go after the money source much sooner than they did.

Cent

Havent some of the Islamists in the South been fighting a 'civil war' for years ? I know its not the same thing, but how many tourists avoid that area due to the threat of violence ?

Hopefully, we will look back on threads like this and laugh in a month or so.

..Central World is ablaze.

Where exactly are you located to be making these observations?

Not trying to be scaremonger here are you or is the wishfull thinking on your part?

TH

Protesters set fire to Central World

Angry protesters hurled Molotov cocktails at first floor of the Central World and set fire to tyres outside the building at 2:28 pm.

They also broke the windows and some M79 grenades were fired at the building.

The fire was put out before it engulfed the building.

Smoke was also seen rising from the Platinum shopping mall.

-- The Nation 2010-05-19

..Central World is ablaze.

Where exactly are you located to be making these observations?

Not trying to be scaremonger here are you or is the wishfull thinking on your part?

TH

Protesters set fire to Central World

Angry protesters hurled Molotov cocktails at first floor of the Central World and set fire to tyres outside the building at 2:28 pm.

They also broke the windows and some M79 grenades were fired at the building.

The fire was put out before it engulfed the building.

Smoke was also seen rising from the Platinum shopping mall.

-- The Nation 2010-05-19

Methinks the Nation is a bit off here. http://yfrog.com/afffuckj taken less than a half hour ago. http://tweetphoto.com/23046959

Cent,

I agree. Civil war is not in Thai genetics. One thing I've seen on many blogs and talking with many Thais is that they are united in their hatred of Reds and are sick of them.

For a civil war, you need at least another large military-governmental body. Reds don't have this not even in Taksin (who seems to be assuring him a place in Thai history as a villian). Taksin and his thugs can still cause trouble but I think the security forces are on their learning curve and getting with the program.

Why is this so shocking? This just does not happen in Thailand and nobody expected this. Mai Pen Rai, sabai sabai. Security forces were caught off gaurd because they are not used to this and they are so politicized. I hear people saying."this would never happen in America!."

It does and our security forces deal with this well because we have too much experience. I say again, we can look forward to this in America in 2012. Obama is already riley up class and race warfare with his speeches. Americans better be prepared for this.

Gotta drive in to LA and pack up my Makarov. Stay safe.

BW

Archived