Where does Thailand go from here?

KimDidMeGood

Thaihome ....Seen this youtube video ?

Listen to the moron applauding at around 3.30 mark.

sidenote: typical Thai OH&S ....let anybody wander around a burning building and shoot youtube vids !

When I made my post at 15:09, Central World was not burning and I could see it from my window.

It does appear I was very wrong in my assesment of what was going to happen. I underestimated the senseless violence these people would do.

TH

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Confusion in Bangkok' date=' UDD demonstration of force in provinces...

I saw images of Khon Kaen on TV, it was striking how elements of Police and Army were just watching the reds, perhaps sympathetically.

I am EXTREMELY worried that the crackdown of today is a pyrrhic victory and that real, nasty trouble is going to start.

What are your impressions?[/quote']

I can see there being isolated problems around the country in the provinces the next couple of months, and continuing smaller protests, and hit and run continuous problems in BKK for a while from the hard core protesters still at large. It remains to be seen if this was mostly about people being paid to protest, or if there is a small solid core of Red Shirts that will continue to cause problems where they can for the government, especially in the hard core Red areas.

I don't think this will end as quickly as the Yellow Shirt protests seemed to. I hope it does, but have my doubts.

Hopefully my friends and other members here living in BKK can now have some peace and a return to normal living in the Big Mango.

I'll be down in a few more weeks. See you guys there.

Cent

No doubt there will continue to be problems in the areas controlled by the core factions of the UDD, but I think it is a matter of time before even they are brought under control. Cutting the money off is huge step. I think you start to see some of the factions distancing themselves from the UDD and maybe even the PTP in next election.

As others have said, the actions of a small group of thugs yesterday will not go over well with vast majority of Thais, even poor rural ones.

TH

Confusion in Bangkok' date=' UDD demonstration of force in provinces...

I saw images of Khon Kaen on TV, it was striking how elements of Police and Army were just watching the reds, perhaps sympathetically.

I am EXTREMELY worried that the crackdown of today is a pyrrhic victory and that real, nasty trouble is going to start.

What are your impressions?[/quote']

I can see there being isolated problems around the country in the provinces the next couple of months, and continuing smaller protests, and hit and run continuous problems in BKK for a while from the hard core protesters still at large. It remains to be seen if this was mostly about people being paid to protest, or if there is a small solid core of Red Shirts that will continue to cause problems where they can for the government, especially in the hard core Red areas.

I don't think this will end as quickly as the Yellow Shirt protests seemed to. I hope it does, but have my doubts.

Hopefully my friends and other members here living in BKK can now have some peace and a return to normal living in the Big Mango.

I'll be down in a few more weeks. See you guys there.

Cent

No doubt there will continue to be problems in the areas controlled by the core factions of the UDD, but I think it is a matter of time before even they are brought under control. Cutting the money off is huge step. I think you start to see some of the factions distancing themselves from the UDD and maybe even the PTP in next election.

As others have said, the actions of a small group of thugs yesterday will not go over well with vast majority of Thais, even poor rural ones.

TH

TH,

As I said in an earlier post, I still don't understand why they waited so long to stop the money flow financing the protests. Seems a logical move and one of the first steps to do to curtail the protestors ability to function.

Cent

I think they have been following the money trail for while, these things do take some time. I seem to remember when this all started there was talk of large transfers into the country they were looking into.

TH

Is this the Chinese money you say is propping up the baht?

Archived