Thai TV at its best

khunsanuk

Actually the government directed them to only show regular programming. They did not want scenes of the fires being shown while there was still unrest going on. It might have encouraged others to join in. I think they did the right thing. This morning all the news shows were back showing all the sensational video you could possibly want.

TH

Hi,

Large parts of Bangkok are burning and Channel 7 just had a big story on some movie star / singer / famous person announcing getting married.

Unbelievable!

Sanuk!

55555555! As long as the TV soaps and game shows are on, many Thais will be content. Interrupt these shows and there will be holy hell to pay! :shifty: :content: :susel:

Hi,

"Actually the government directed them to only show regular programming. They did not want scenes of the fires being shown while there was still unrest going on. It might have encouraged others to join in."

Hmmm, fair enough I guess. [wipes egg off face]

Sanuk!

Actually the government directed them to only show regular programming. They did not want scenes of the fires being shown while there was still unrest going on. It might have encouraged others to join in. I think they did the right thing. This morning all the news shows were back showing all the sensational video you could possibly want.

TH

This is a point of view that I acknowledge to bear some logic but I strongly disagree with it for two reasons:

- as a principle it is getting in the way of people's fundamental right to be informed;

- practically, it has the potential of putting people in danger as they don't know what's going on and could go out to places they shouldn't. For the same reason, I find it very reprehensible that government officials repeatedly state that "the situation is under control" when extreme disorder and brutality was still going on.

Archived