English skills of Thai kids

no rite way

This is partly out of frustration and partly cuz I have no benchmark of what a Thai kid should know at what age.

The gf wanted me to teach her kid English. To keep harmony, why not? To see where he's at I just sat with him and had him try to read some words from a picture book. An animated picture of something with the English and Thai words underneath of what it was. He can barely read Thai and struggled to do so and had NO clue on any English words when I covered up the Thai word.

So I asked him if he could recite the alphabet. He could but struggled at some letters and needed help.

I then made some flashcards of all 26 letters in caps and non-caps to see if he could identify what he was saying. He failed miserably. He could maybe get 5 letters right out of 52.

Today I tried to start with A and AT and CAT and changout the first letter only to create different words. He was completely lost.

He is 10 years old and had went to public school his whole life. This is his first year at a private school and I fear he is WELL behind and will fall further back.

What should a 10 year old Thai kid be able to read? It seems as if he has learned literally no English in 5 years of school.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep same as our son he came here ( Sydney) at age 10 as well .

Put him into year five the school did all they could still it was hard work for two years of primary school...then he went year seven ( first year of high school)...they told us his English was not good enough to enter the main stream yr7...so they put him into IEC and intensive English course within the school itself for nine months after that he entered the main stream school as his English and comprehension were at acceptable level for the school.

Now in year 11 and doing very well..

You will need to get him into a course that will bring his English levels up..you will find he will enjoy it after a while and soak it all up ..good luck

One more thing ..we used those post it stickers and put them all over the house etc so he new what the word was referring to ..a great help i must say....again good luck.

Hi,

The boy came living with us when he was 13, spoke no English at all at the time. The girl was 11 when she moved here, she too spoke no English.

Upcountry 'education' to blame for it.

They are now 14 and 18, and still neither speak any real English. No way I can talk to them in English.

Bangkok public school to blame for that.

The girl did a stint of English lessons with a teacher from school. Made no fucking difference what so ever, seriously doubt the teacher spoke English well herself.

Neither have shown any desire to learn English (or anything else for that matter :( ).

Sanuk!

I know there is English taught in schools. And this is rhetorical but why waste their fucking time if kids aren't gonna learn it? Spend the time and money on other things if the schools can't teach them.

I am no teacher whatsoever and really don't know where to begin with a student that barely knows the alphabet and truly has no desire to learn. I do know this much, a student has to WANT to learn before you can teach them. It aint gonna happen in my case but I'll go through to motions to keep things running as smoothly as possible.

Sometimes a little incentive works

I've thought of the concept but not using money. I was thinking a bit more harsh. Like if he doesn't get it right, he gets no bike for a week. Or no computer for games or no tv. But then I'd be stuck with him even longer teaching him so I'd be penalizing myself too.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving a reward of money for good reports from school.

Archived