English skills of Thai kids

no rite way

Chilli, my point is that many Thais seem to think that Farang = English speaker. I've even heard English called "Phasaa Farang"!

It is a racial thing with them. If only English fluency is what they want, there are many Filipinos who are excellent English teachers. But Filipinos are usually only hired when a Farang cannot be found. Also, Filipinos are paid about 1/3rd less than a Farang, no matter how good they may be.

A few years ago I met an American of Thai ancestry who was having a hell of a time getting hired as an English teacher here, even though he had a degree and certification from the States. The only job he had had been offered was one that would pay him the same salary given to a Filipino. Thais want you to "look the part".

And looking the part is why Black Americans and Black Brits can have problems getting a teaching job here too.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The kids like them, but the Thai teachers seem to regard them as not very good.

Pot and kettle come to mind. Gf's kid is 10, fucking 10 years old and can not read Thai worth a shit and can't get through the Roman(?) alphabet. Now I don't fault him a whole lot for that as I couldn't get through the Thai alphabet but when he's had 5 years of English, I would say he should have learned more than 1 letter a year.

This is his first year of private school. For the past year or so, she was paying to have him go extra for after school tutoring. Now this year, he will doing that in addition to attending on Saturday too.

It is not for lack of attending. I think it's more a lack of caring on his part. Sitting with him, he just doesn't even try. I'll go throught the alsphabet with flash cards and trying to make it easy, I'll go in order sometimes, ex. A. B, C.....He'll say P and then 2 letters later, he'll say P again, knowing full well he just had it. Sometimes he'll say words, instead of a letter. Somtimes he'll say Thai words instead of the letter. I'm being patient and rewarding him when he does well but gently correcting when he's wrong but it's wearing on me and obviously him too.

Anyway, I think he's just not interested nor are the schools or teachers in making sure he's understanding what they're trying to teach.

Thais always tell me the Roman alphabet was way easier to learn than the Thai alphabet. Surprised the kid is having trouble with it. Could be the fault of both the kid and the teacher. I learned to read when I was 5 in a private kindergarten (church run). But I was interested AND the teacher made it fun.

Have you tried one of those Roman alphabet jigsaw puzzles? They are cheap enough.

Archived