Good Commentary Coming Out Now...

Gadfly

There is some very insightful and good commentary coming out now. One of the better pieces I have seen about the problems facing Thailand from the Bangkok Post.

He starts off with Thaksin: “[He] has become in their eyes the devil incarnate - a demon-like figure very comparable to the witches in traditional societies who are seen as the causes of all misfortunes and maladies. If only he could be permanently removed from further involvement in Thai politics, they believe, then Thailand could return to a calm, cohesive society.†And then correctly points out that is much more complicated than one man or even two men.

For example, the millions of Thai from the north and northeastern (who far out-number, by several fold, the populace of Bangkok): “Support for the red shirt movement is very strong throughout rural northeastern and northern Thailand in part because villagers and their kinsmen who work in Bangkok and elsewhere are aware of being constantly denigrated by members of the middle class, particularly in Bangkok.â€Â

Negative images, especially of northeasterners, have been used often in films and TV dramas. In the past few years, people of these regions have been branded over and over again by commentators on ASTV, the television network of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), in many Bangkok newspapers, and in hundreds of blogs and Facebook pages as being stupid "buffaloes" and even more vulgar characterisations. Somehow those who generate such media depictions seem to believe that "villagers" are uninformed, and unaware of these characterisations.

PAD and its supporters, of course, want a parliament where only one-third of its members are elected. I guess that should not come as a surprise. What is surprising is that some actually support this fascist nonsense.

Double standards anyone? “Although the government cannot and should not attempt to control the content of the media, it can demonstrate even-handedness by prosecuting clear instances of incitement on both sides.†The red leaders are in custody and Thaksin is charged with terrorism, but the occupation for forcible closing of an international airport (a terrorist act by definition) is still “under investigation.†One is certainly not an excuse for the other, but the first will justify the second (in the minds of the reds), and as long as these sorts of double standards exist, Thailand will not know peace.

And a good response to the unfair criticism the foreign media got on their coverage of the protests here:

"In fact, the international media was exemplary in its brave and largely unbiased coverage of this apprehended revolution. Regrettably, the same cannot be said of the domestic press and government-controlled radio and TV stations.

As a columnist in Thai Rath wrote: "The Thai media's coverage of the Red Shirts' protest has been very disappointing. To get the truth, the Thai public must rely on foreign newspapers and TV broadcasters, such as the BBC, CNN and Al Jazeera."

So, let's stop this spiteful hunt for imaginary scapegoats in the foreign press and start taking action. As the Bangkok Post stated on Friday: "(We) should not forgive. The actions of some among the Red Shirts of the past several weeks were unconscionable."

That is true. Of the mayhem last week, the Post continued: "Someone organised it, someone funded it and someone supported it. And they must be punished."

That is also true. And the same punishment must apply to the Yellow Shirt mobsters, who earlier occupied Government House for months and trashed it, who sought violently to invade Parliament, and who shut down Bangkok's airports and shattered the tourism industry and the nation's image.

Yet so far not a single Yellow Shirt leader has been punished. When asked about it, Prime Minister Abhisit says the investigation is in the hands of the police. But it has been almost two years and it is not a case for Sherlock Holmes. We know who these people are and what they did.

They set the template for the Reds."

I decided to set this out in a new thread rather than one where some members actually claim (or, read charitably, suggested) there was no coup in 2006. Those sorts of outlandish claims, of course, eliminate the possibility of any serious discussion of Thailand's very difficult and dangerous situation.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to set this out in a new thread rather than one where some members actually claim (or, read charitably, suggested) there was no coup in 2006. Those sorts of outlandish claims, of course, eliminate the possibility of any serious discussion of Thailand's very difficult and dangerous situation.

There is no denying the fact that there was a Coup in September 2006, what I, and others I assume, call into question is the statement that "Thaksin was removed from office by a Coup"

This is a total misrepresentation of the facts. At the time of the Coup Thaksin was caretaker Prime Miniter who was unable to form a coalition government FIVE MONTHS after the previous elections and refused to call new elections. This also brings into question the much quoted notion that "Thaksin was popular and had majority support" if he had such support then he would not have faced problems forming a coalition to gain overall majority.

If Cameron & Clegg had not formed a coalition in the UK, I would not see the UK public accepting Brown hanging on to power for 5 months as a Caretaker PM.

At the time PAD were callong for Thaksin to go to the polls again to end the stalement since he was clinging on to power without the mandate of the people. PAD had a major rally planned for the weekend after the Coup took place and, from the information I have read, Thaksin intended to clamp down hard on PAD rally and impose Marshall Law and the security forces made the decision that this should not be allowed to happen and staged the Coup.

Judging whether the Coup was Right or Wrong is not something I, as foreign guest in the Kingdom, should not and will not pass comment on, but what I will do is state the facts leading up to September 2006 and dispel this myth that "Thaksin was ousted by Military Coup"

I'm still wondering whether any action was taken against the Yellow Shirts for blockading Subarnapoom ? I agree that their protest was more 'peaceful' (no arson attacks, afaik), but they deliberately targeted the main gateway into and out of Thailand - surely that is against the law ?

Uh, no he wasn't PM. Not enough votes = not elected to that office. Or is this some of that new "Red democracy?"

So let me understand this correctly.

Thaksin put in office by House of Representatives Resolution not PM

Abhisit put in office by House of Representatives Resolution is PM

What exactly are you on about? Do you have any idea at all, or just pulling it out of your ass?

Thaksin 2006 = not able to find enough support to form coalition government. Abhisit 2008 = formed coalition government with the other parties.

Thaksin was playing poker with his office. He went all in and the rest of the country called his bluff. He lost, then refused to re-ante to start the game again.

Archived