Good Commentary Coming Out Now...

Gadfly

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS Doing this now from a mobile phone now so it's a bit difficult, but I will show you the link, and you can judge for yourself. Irrespective, there is a bigger issue being discussed here, and I don't think we want a "he said..." type of argument to interfere with the bigger issue. I have just been told I am being rude for paying too moch attention to my phone...

He was Prime Minister up to an including the elections of April 2006, after the election he was caretaker PM until he could form a coalition or call fresh elections, he gailed to either, and was clinging on to power.

Thaksin himself called the elections in April 2006 no one else.

He was PM at the beginning of 2006 - he then dissolved Parliament (less than one year into office) - so he was the caretaker PM.

Elections were held, but boycotted and eventually overturned - so he was not the elected PM at the time of the coup.

And that is what always bothers me in the western news reports ... calling him the "elected prime minister" who was overthrown by a coup. Yes, he had been elected. And yes, he was PM. But at the time he was not an ELECTED PM. Doesn't make the coup any less illegal, but it is an important point worth noting. Takky was farting around and taking his time about calling an election. It was almost as if he was afraid to hold an election, thinking he might lose power.

Did Thaksin do anything illegal in taking way too much time to form a coalition government in 2006. Are there rules of Thai parliment that stipulate the amount of time that a caretaker government has to form a new government (or call new elections). Has any other Thai government in the last 30 years been a caretaker government for an unusually long time? If what Thaksin did had been done, and approved, before, it would be hard to single him out now as someone that single-handedly perverted the Thai system of government.

I'd like to see some proof that a MAJORITY in Thailand does support Thaksin. Saying it over and over again does not constitute proof. And I am talking about NOW ... not in 2005.

you obviously dont spend much time upcountry in isaan area ,just ask anybody and you wont find any yellows but a rabid hatred of the present lot and gleefull smiles at the mention of Thaksins name.

if you mention his shortcomings they are glossed over and he is still the good old boy that everyone loves .

you obviously dont spend much time upcountry in isaan area ,just ask anybody and you wont find any yellows but a rabid hatred of the present lot and gleefull smiles at the mention of Thaksins name.

if you mention his shortcomings they are glossed over and he is still the good old boy that everyone loves .

Well, I DO spend a lot of time upcountry in Issan and I reject your comments as total BULLSHIT

...Wont find any yellows.... Crap

Gleeful smiles... Not (anymore) in my part of the woods

Good old boy that everyone loves....5555 Heard a local Village Head suggesting recently that the best thing for Thailand would be for someone to shoot Takky

Dunno what part of the Jungle you frequent but your comments just don't hold true around the Surin area

Archived