Cambodian Tarzan Girl Discovered

gladius69

I remember when National Geographic "discovered" a tribe of modern day cave-persons living in the jungle in Indonesia I think.

Transpires that the helpful locals, when faced with fresh-faced American missionary/anthropologists who had money to burn, arranged for a family or so of other locals, to whip up to the local caves and run around naked for the weekend, every time the Americans turned up. All in exchange for culturally appropriate amounts of money, of course.

And this enabled the self fulfilling theories that the American missionary/anthropologists were pushing to be taken seriously in the scientific world.

Easy when (even if you don't know it) the subjects are behaving exactly like they are being paid to.

I think the whole thing fell apart when a journo recognised one of the "cave-persons" at the local market, clothed and modern.

:)

Good point Coss. Besides it's fairly easy to imagine a lot of lao and khmer girls in Nana and Cowboy as jungle girls. They hardly look more civilised.

Than when they wear red shirts we get a big party...

We definitely have a tribe of Bigfoot here in my neck of the woods - I saw a particularly frightening member of said family down at the shops the other day. In a nation of increasingly large individuals, this creature is enormous - easily 6'6" and over 180kg, hair bristling from both front and back of his singlet as he leaned against one of the walls in the centre, clearly relaxed in the knowledge that he was larger than many of the cars parked outside.

It was like a road accident - you know you shouldnt slow down and stare but its bloody hard not to. Exactly where he (it ?) gets his clothing is anyone's guess. Its a fair hike to any 'jungle' from my place, but I expect that entire species have become extinct since he landed on our planet from the planet Mongo.

A couple quotes from the story....

"She has not learnt either of the local languages, Khmer or Phnang,"

and from her father.....

"She took off her clothes and ran away from the house without saying a word to any of our family members," Mr Lou said.

Well, now it would be kind of hard to tell them where she was going when she can't speak the language.

Archived