Why are so many Brits American haters

Ckrisg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fear this will become another anti-American thread but I will post anyway. I don't believe we Brits care about losing the American colonies. We lost most of the world but don't worry about that. We are faced daily with the overwhelming success of American culture - movies, TV and music. This leads some people to jealousy and anti-American feelings. They then cite examples of American foreign policy to show that America is evil and therefore all Americans must be stupid to support it. Or so the bigots would have it.

Fortunately most Brits are somewhat more open minded than the above scenario would suggest and the number who are actually rabidly anti-American is small. The fact that such people can be met in Bangkok shows that a bigoted mind is not broadened by travel.

I met citizens of former British colonies who blame all the ills of their current society on the fact that it was British ruled. India is full of people who think like this. They also claim everything that is good about their country is due to themselves.

:yeahthat: I have many British friends. Most I've met are intelligent and civilized, and good, fun, decent folk who I get along with well and have much in common with. They're nice guys to hang with and talk to, and they genuinely like America and Americans. Like America and the world over, there are a percentage of idiots in every country. The Brits have their fair share of morons, as we all do, where ever we come from.

Having traveled in Europe and seen the pond-scum ugly American tourists, I'd hate us too if I wasn't so embarrassed.

I fully subscribe to the theory that you pretend to be Canadian, and when in doubt, bring up Scooby-Doo ... our great gift to international culture.

Having traveled in Europe and seen the pond-scum ugly American tourists, I'd hate us too if I wasn't so embarrassed.

I fully subscribe to the theory that you pretend to be Canadian, and when in doubt, bring up Scooby-Doo ... our great gift to international culture.

Chappy,

Why is it the worst of the ugly Americans seem to go to Europe for vacation? Most of the Americans I have met over the years here in Thailand seem much more likeable and decent guys with a clue (though there have been a few total dimwits). It seems the more an American travels, the further they go, and the more adventurous and willing to live and/or visit in countries/cultures vastly different than our own, the better I find them and can relate to them.

You still see them sometimes in BKK at the big international hotels ... wife and kids in tow, climbing into a tuk tuk for a day of rip-off shopping and "culture" (e.g. floating markets, watered down Thai cuisine). They are just as loud, arrogant, and obnoxious as their counterparts traveling in Europe. There are, however, noticeably fewer of them.

I think Europe is perceived as being an "easier" place to travel for Ma and Pa Kettle, and thus attracts more moronic tourists. Thailand (and SE Asia) are seen as "too far" and "too foreign" for the Kettles.

Just my thoughts ... no data, strictly empirical.

America's biggest problem is we have too many Republicans that keep voting in the GWBes and their ilk, and making foreign policy that pisses everyone off in its arrogance and ignorance.

Republicans have the arrogant 'righteous,' dems have the arrogant 'politically correct,' both groups have their share of annoying personas.

GWB was one of the worst things to happen to us both internally and externally. I hope people in other places understand that there were a lot of us who thought he was an asshole and did not support what was happening.

On another note -- I remember this guy Jim, American Backpacker, who came to my bar (worked there) in Berlin a lot. He was always going on about how he hated all the American tourists -- how loud, stupid, fat, ugly, etc., they were. It was OK at first but then you just started avoiding the guy.

The Germans thought that Jim had some issues to work out. Those Germans were pretty fucking smart.

Archived