Why are so many Brits American haters

Ckrisg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there was some truth in what stick wrote; in the years I have worked overseas I have run into many Brits that in a first reaction almost automatically are hostile when meeting Americans.

Since most of my long-term friends are Brits, this has happened a number of times as we run across their fellow countrymen.

Of course, in my case, once they realize what a likeable, smart, witty and easy going person I am, they get over the hostility very quickly.

TH

There are a large enough amount of Brits that feel that way where I think its a common feeling. Even higher in certain countries in Europe. The general feeling seems to be that the Americans you meet are probably some of the folks that vote for the Presidents whose foreign policies have been very unpopular.

Blaming the common American by extension is the same line of reasoning fatwas bin Laden has that say he can target 'innocents'.

The problem is that those outside the U.S. are only focused on foreign policy. Americans have to worry about their day to day lives. What happens in some for off land where they can't find on a map isn't a concern if finding a job and getting your kids a quality education is the choice.

Some foreign policies are fixed (Cuba, Israel) but others are unforseen so a voter could not have a say (Iran, Iraq happend inbetween voting cycles).

The animosity I think is based on what I said in a prior post (fear, jealousy, envy, in any combination; the Man Utd syndrome).

Archived