Narrowing income gap will take time

Flashermac

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Lots of industries don't need all of that (think banking, insurance, IT, accounting, etc). And of course workers tend to be where the work is.

I think that the problem is that everything already IS in Bangkok and it is therefore a lot easier to start a new business in Bangkok than it is to do the same elsewhere.

Bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Second largest city in the UK isn't Manchester, but Birmingham according to this site with a population of 1M people.

So, a factor 7 between cities 1 and 2, in Thailand that factor is 21 according to this site.

It's even larger when you include Nonthaburi and Pakkret in with Bangkok (almost 40 times as big as the next largest city then).

Sanuk!

Hi,

Second largest city in the UK isn't Manchester, but Birmingham according to this site with a population of 1M people.

Sanuk!

I will agree to differ on that one, if one takes the actual "City" Manchester is seventh Largest city in UK, but taken as the Urban area of Greater Manchester it is the Second Largest with a population of 2,562,000 approx 30% size of Greater London

Manchester

As you may of Guessed, I am not from Birmingham.

Actually you will find that many industries are upcountry already. Though still dwarfed by Bangkok and Eastern Seaboard (and they probably always will be), they are growing as companies move out there for the lower cost. The one example I know of is the Seagate plant in Korat.

TH

The government has for many years tried to get factories outside of Bangkok.

BOI Zone 3 offers the most incentives, and is only available in the farthest areas - but they (in my opinion) made a mistake by including Rayong Province in Zone 3. They should (maybe they have) removed Rayong now.

Also big factories in Khon Kaen and Udon Thani. They have some difficulties getting workers sometimes I hear - but for low tech positions no problem to get staff.

Chiang Mai/Lamphun is also a long time factory center.

Now, open a big factory in Buriram and I'll apply for a position!

Archived