The Down-Trodden Rural Poor of Thailand

BaronTT

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"rent in slums: go live in a slum, you will see that you must pay rent"

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that people living in the government housing flats (e.g. Din Daeng) do not pay rent. They only pay for utilities.

"average 14 years of schooling: do you really think i need a quotation to back up that this is nonsense?"

10 years ago, yes, that figure would like have been lower, but I do think it is fairly accurate now. Keep in mind that more and more kids study until 22-24.

Education is also mandatory until M3 and I do think that the vast majority of kids finish that nowadays. They'd be about 15-16 when they finish that.

Sanuk!

The Thai government has a vested interest in maintaining cheap (crap) housing. This way the dirt cheap labor will have a place to live in the big city, so they can continue to afford to work here on their low wages.

As to education, years of education is a poor measure, given the state of the education system. And I suspect that there are not a lot of truant officers chasing down little Noi or little Somchai, who should be in school but are out working in a factory or selling lottery tickets in traffic.

the king of Brunei has done much more to improve living standards for his people .

1) Brunei's population is 428,000. That's it - not even 1/2 million. Over 1/4 of the population lives in the capital city.

2) It is one of the richest countries in the world.

3) It is an absolute monarchy!

<< Brunei’s Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah ...

- "President" of the richest country in the world

- Popular, lavish, uses gold in everything

- Was born literally eating with spoons made of gold

- Clothes worn embroidered with gold and silver

The largest and most luxurious palace in the world

- Consists of 1788 rooms with some furnished in gold and diamond-encrusted

- 257 bath inlaid with gold and silver and a garage to accommodate 110 cars

- The palace has 650 suites … each furnished at not less than 150,000 thousand euros.

- This requires the visitor to spend 24 hours just to inspect each room for 30 seconds. >>

[color:red]And you want to compare it with Thailand? [/color]

Brunei

Archived