World Cup: Blighty vs Yanks

LizardKing

i assume, i hope, you are joking?!! :argue:

I always enjoy to :stirthepo with you.

You have often questioned in the past my reasons for choosing an expatriate lifestyle over staying put / keeping UK as home base, the flag waving neandothals are one of the reasons, I have about as much in common with them as chalk has with cheese.

There was a recent thread on this board "Why do Brits Hate Americans?" and suprisingly enough I stayed out of it. Personally I have no time for the minority who show a negative stereotypical caractature of their nation and is percieved by others as the norm, Brit Football Hooligans, Loud Yanks etc etc, its total bollox.

Enjoy your Trip with your Daughter and your Father, and we will resume taking the piss out of each othr upon your return.

Game seemed 'english' because of its physicality but that sort of game is culturally American as well. I thought England outplayed us and deserved a win were not for the goalkeeping error.

We showed a lot of fight though. We don't have enough technical ability to go far but hoping good 'ol American guts and work ethic will do it.

England didn't look like world beaters themselves despite playing better over the 90 minutes than we did but that was expected. I don't see England beating many countries in the top dozen or so FIFA ranked sides as well as a few other sides.

Howard was the Man of the Match but special mention has to be made for Onyewu and Bradley. Carragher should see his last WC for England. Altimore outmuscled and outran him a bit too much. Rooney is paying for Ferguson running him to death during the season. He seems tired.

Best newspaper tag line I've heard was 'A British spill the Yanks won't complain about' (or something to that effect)...hilarious.

Google tells me it's for real. It may have been inspired by a headline in the Harvard Crimson from 1968, "Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29" after Harvard came back with 16 points in the final 42 seconds to tie the game. Both teams had been undefeated going into that last game of the season.

The following quip in The Guardian gave me a chuckle. On the topic of goalie Howard's injury:

"Any time you're in a big game like that and you get injured, there's no chance anybody is taking you off that field. And Tim is no different than the rest of us," said US defender Steve Cherundolo. "We're very happy Tim is on our team. Having a good goalkeeper in a tournament like this is essential."

You don't say, Steve.

Guest lazyphil

phew thats a relief, i can cope with all kinds of mudslinging but that would have been something else!!!.......theres hope here, morons can be avoided/ignored but it does grate my nerves when i cant do both....

thanks alot we'll have a great holiday and can not wait. we just a week ago had half term in the hope valley, peak district, staying in a farm a mile out of hope village, visited castleton, the local caves and caverns, biked around ladybower with my nieces and daughter, had some beers in local pubs with bro in law and dad, walked up kinder scout.....couldn't see manchester as i have in the past. spent hours at hathersage out door pool, has to be the best out door pool in england with rolling hills all around....my uncle from haslingden drove over in his brand new morgan +4 in british racing green, had a spin in it, friggin hard to drive in tiny lanes lol

Archived