Refunds From Thai Banks

up2you2

Has anyone been successfully reimbursed specifically by THAI banks from stolen funds from an ATM using a Thai debit card ?

Whilst up dating my Bank account at my local branch in Chalong, Phuket I was shocked to find out that all my funds, 280,000 Baht had been stolen out of it.

This happened on the 3rd March, and since then following masses of communications with this Bank they are still refusing to credit my account with these stolen funds.

To date I have followed all the correct steps and procedures of reporting this theft to the main Police Station in Phuket town, along with the main Police Station in Pattaya where these stolen funds were withdrawn.

At the moment I'm trying to get a hold of their Terms and Conditions in Thai and English, and I also believe there is a Thai banking act that has a code of conduct over such matters.

After 3 months I am becoming quite disheartened, so if there's anyone out there, or knows of such a case, I would be most grateful to hear about it please.

Commiserations, mate.

I recall a couple of similar cases in Pattaya over the last 3 years, one involving a farang and the other a high profile Thai.

Perhaps do a search on Pattaya Mail, or Pattaya Daily News to see if there was a follow up.

It's a bit too late now that the horse has bolted, but I think the advice emerged:

1. Keep the bulk of your savings in a passbook saving account. So it's there in black and white beyond dispute.

2. Periodically transfer say 100,000 baht to your debit account linked to an ATM for every day expenses to limit potential losses from fraud.

If no luck with the bank, maybe pass your story onto the Pattaya Mail, Stickman, or Andrew Drummond to name and shame the bank into action.

:beer:

I had a funny experience at the Siam Commercial Bank, when I acquired a passport account.

The young lass got me to resign a small piece of paper, like one that you would paste into a passbook account, and then slipped it into her desk drawer.

As I only had some small funds in that account I did not press it, however, I did inquire at the time but she just said "I do later, not keep you here".

I made a point that I would go to another branch and redo my signature, just in case. That was about 4 months ago, I should do it why I am here. I was happy just to open the account so I did not want to push my luck then and there.

"1. Keep the bulk of your savings in a passbook saving account. So it's there in black and white beyond dispute."

Wrong.

The passbook only serves as a friendly reminder to you how much money you have, only for information purposes. It is not legally binding.

Binding is only the data in the bank's computer.

(Bangkok Bank once explained this to me - of course i was free to challenge them in court :()

According to a former Thai poster on this board, cases of disappearing funds (usually by ATM) are usually inside jobs.

It may help to have the bulk of your funds in an account that does not have an ATM card.

If you watch Thai TV, when they report such cases it is always the same bank (name starts with a "K"). Some Thais tend to think that the staff of this particular bank is not honest.

(Personally, this is my experience also: they secretely opened an account in my name. I didn't even know this account existed. I accidentally found out about this account, went to the branch and closed it. They refused to give me any documentation about the closure.)

"1. Keep the bulk of your savings in a passbook saving account. So it's there in black and white beyond dispute."

Wrong.

The passbook only serves as a friendly reminder to you how much money you have, only for information purposes. It is not legally binding.

(Bangkok Bank once explained this to me - of course i was free to challenge them in court :()

According to a former Thai poster on this board, cases of disappearing funds (usually by ATM) are usually inside jobs.

It may help to have the bulk of your funds in an account that does not have an ATM card.

If you watch Thai TV, when they report such cases it is always the same bank (name starts with a "K"). Some Thais tend to think that the staff of this particular bank is not honest.

(Personally, this is my experience also: they secretely opened an account in my name. I didn't even know this account existed. I accidentally found out about this account, went to the branch and closed it. They refused to give me any documentation about the closure.)

Crikey, some heavy duty naughtiness there from K.

This is why I keep my money in Oz banks.

Thanks for the info.

:beer:

urban legend? :rolleyes:

Wrong.

Archived