Which is the Best Hospital in Thailand?

Savittre

Would anyone care to say which hospital they think is the best in Thailand? My bet would be Bumrungrad on Soi 3, but there is the Bangkok-Pattaya hospital too. And, I've heard good things about Bangkok Christian Hospital, which is cheaper than Bumrungrad. Of course I don't want to pay an unreasonable price, but the main thing is my health.

I have had a chronic health problem for a long time now, and I want to get something done about it if the possibility exists. Thanks!

Definitely visit each and make your own choice based on doctor and your ailment. I recently had a poor assessment from a Samitevej doctor that could have cost me a lot of money. I am currently swinging towards Bumrungrad as my main choice. It will need homework upfront. Bumrungrad makes things easy with an excellent web site and email support.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The doctors move around from hospital to hospital, so you may get a great doc a Xyz hospital, only to return there, doc is gone and you get a not so good doc. YMMV

Sametivej has a large heart center, maybe good? don't know but seems like some hospitals may specialize in certain areas.

I have taken a fiend to Bumrungrad on Soi 3 if your a friend don't go there.

There is a Hospital down Suk around 56 or down that way a Thai friend took us down when Bumrungrad on Soi 3 had a waiting list of 10 hours. we got in within 30 minutes no problem doctors are good.

A lot of Thai known people go there

Some of the expats could tell you the name

Bumrungrad seems to do the most bragging/advertising to make people think it is the flagship hospital of Thailand giving some of the best care available in the world. Well, I guess it is the "flagship" hospital, but it is not nearly so good as they get people to believe.

I am a healthcare professional from the US and I have not just heard, but actually seen at least five incidents that would be considered malpractice per se back in the USA all carrried out at Bumrungrad.

In one instance, the emergency room doctor left a patient sitting passed out on a bed in the emergency room while he attended a newer walk-in hi-so Chinese lady with a cut on her finger. When the family of the woman who was ignored for 3 hours complained, the doctor defended himself by saying "What's the use? She is going to be dead in the morning."

And why was this woman there? Shewas there because she had been given medication at Bumrungrad without proper screening, and the medication caused permanent kidney damage. When the patient complained about the pain from te failing kidney, yet another Bumrungrad doctor told her to ignore it because the pain must have come from lifting something that was too heavy. So in just this one patient we saw prescription of an incorrect drug, misdiagnosing the damage the drug caused, and finally, literally leaving the patient to die because she came to the hospital dressed in cheap clothing and she looked like a bar worker. (Her friends at her lady dorm put whatever clothes they could grab quickly when she passed out in the shower).

Another case: When my 88 year old father got a piece of hot dog stuck in his throat and could not even swallow his own saliva, the doctor at Bumrungrad (a different one than the three above) said my dad should simply wait a week and see if it cleared up. If it did not - and my dad was still alive - after a week, then he should come back. This meant, of course, that my dad could not take the eight pills per day that he had been prescribed to keep him alive ater his triple bypass surgery. Four days later, suffering from dehydration and from not being able to take his heart medicine, my dad boarded a plane to see a doctor in Florida. He arrived weak and disoriented but it was in time to take out the offending piece of hot dog. When it was finally taken care of the whole procedure took less than five minutes.

I can give you at least three other incidents where life of the patient was literally put in danger because of the lack of caring of the Bumrungrad doctors, but I think you probably get the idea already.

Bottom line: Bumrugrad ain't nearly as good as they get people to believe. Best in Thailand? I am relieved to say it is not.

Your question and then your reason why really merits two answers...

If you want to know the best hospital in thailand then find hospital associations who rank them on specific and pre-determined criteria.

if you want to know what is best for your problem...then reserach best doctors in area(s) of your medical need...

One should not choose a hospital based on their ranking which might or might have any bearing on what your own medical needs are...

Think doctor's reputation and actual recommendations and then what is known about that particular service or dept he or she works...

Think specific and detail and not general glossy labels...

CB

One Aussie friend after a trip to Africa came down with something unknown. In dreadful pain, and she normally has a high pain threshold.

Ringing the emergency button in her room took 20 minutes for a nurse to arrive, I was furious, went off and gave them and the rest of staff a severe talk, then went to admin as well.

In the end she was evacuated to Australia.

I came down with a similar unknown tropical disease, had great treatment at Phai Tai 2 - who called in experts from the tropical disease hospital for advice.

Archived