Fun in Seoul

Another_Guy

• 7 months later...

I've been a good few times and for me anyway that is a good few times too many! I find it too dull, grey and lacking in, well, Soul. It is for me everything which Thailand is not. In particular I have found the people most difficult, very distant, but then again I have hardly had the time to invest in building frienships.

I go for work so try to get that done with as quickly as possible and have often taken a TG with me to minimise the stress level and make the down time enjoyable.

Horses for courses as always but I think there are more open and accesible places and people. It's not called the hermit kingdom for nothing. Oh yeah, and this time of year it gets farkin cold!

The floods here in Brisbane have put my schedule out of wack for a few weeks, but I should head over in early February for an orienteering trip. If I like it the missus will give me a year pass to stay and play there, with the odd side trips to the various asian states nearby.

Seoul in February, are you a sadist or what, well Seoul anythime for that matter. When I last there Feb - Apr 2008 it never got above freezing and was snowing most of the time, I arrived back in BKK the day before Songkran 42 C.

Itaewon-dong is probably the most famous nightlife area in Seoul but its close to a Major US Army Garrison, its only 35KM south from the 32nd Parallel.

When I first went working in Korea in 1988 I was in the East Coast port city of Pohang and often drove down to Pusam for a weekend, then it was good, One road in particular MTV street it seemed as if every other building was a brothel, or should I say it appeared that way. It's not a seedy side street like Soi 6 Pattaya it's one of the main roads through the city. 5-6 bars togeher then normal business for the next 100 meters then another cluster of bars oh happy days.

I had to go and do some work for a couple of months in Ulsan in 2004 and it shocked me just how much the place had changed in 16 years, the happy smiling faces, cheap beer, abundance of knocking shops and the party atmosphere had al but gone only to be replaced with faceless souls, expensive beer, a smattering of knocking shops with korean mamasan but with Eastern European girls asking upwards of USD 259 for a short time and a totally dour glum feel to the place.

I actually thought the North had invaded since I was last there and no one had told me.

I am with Radioman on this one, it's a place where I have to be paid to go to, not somewhere I would use my own money to go to, not for a week even nevermind a year.

Kong

Thanks for the good oil :ber:

I have never been in a snow country before, except some visits to New York when it snowed lightly. So, that is actually a plus.

I was going to stay awhile to learn Korean so I could communicate with the missus more, even after 10 years her English is pathetic and it is never easy learning anything from a partner, and that goes both ways.

I will still go, and test the waters but if after a month things don't look up, well LOS will be calling on a cheap AirAsia flight mak mak :beer:

Archived