Thai divorce law

tomyamtalae

Thai divorce killings

Just wondering if anyone had experience of messy divorces in Thailand? I guess any time a couple separates it can be messy but judging by this article it can downright bad for your health. This British guy was in a Thai-foreign marriage and his own wife (or at least her boyfriend) killed him to get rid of him.

Which makes me wonder, is it even worth getting a pre-nup if a marriage in Thailand can end like this?

I’d like to assume the murder here is the exception to the rule, but is it normal for Thai wives to be so obsessive about cash? (I know it’s a stereotype, but that doesn’t necessarily make it true). I have a friend who is getting married in Thailand soon and he’s a bit concerned about the implications if things do end in divorce, are there are any set rules for who gets what?

basic rule is 50/50 for 'assets' bought since marriage e.g. land/property, cars, gold etc.

and sure it doesn't help to be so far out in the sticks in rural LOS where it's way too easy to get away with *everything* (for the thais) :(

"if things do end in divorce, are there are any set rules for who gets what?"

Think twice about whom you are marrying! Too many Farangs marry bar girls they don't really know that well. Now some men have got lucky and had wonderful marriages with GBs. Unfortunately, most have not. I would expect the odds of your Mrs doing something nasty are considerably better if you met her on a holiday in Patpong or in Pattaya or Phuket than if you met her as a neighbour or through friends.

BTW Toby Charnaud was a board member here. He was a gentleman farmer who had already divorced his ex-BG wife. But she had him murdered in hopes their son would inherit and she could then get her hands on his money in England. :(

<< Even more gruesome was the fate of another British citizen, Toby Charnaud. The 42-year-old farmer was also beaten and his body then burned, chopped up and scattered in a national park. >>

Think twice about whom you are marrying! Too many Farangs marry bar girls they don't really know that well. Now some men have got lucky and had wonderful marriages with GBs. Unfortunately, most have not.

Sounds like me and my ex, I married her to stay in Thailand, she married me as a way out and eventualy we agreed that our goals were not compatitable.

I was lucky in the fact it was mainly amicable, she buggered off to the states with her son, a guy I had treated as my own as a step son for seven years, and is now doing fine. Ex stepson has completed his BA and is now doing his masters and we (step son and I) have dinner / a few drinks once a year when he comes back to Thailand to visit.

Ex-Wife divorced her American Husband a few years ago and got whatever was due to her under US Laws, I did warn him back in 1999.

Can you own property...NO

WTF, in the US, a Thai will marry a US citizen, get a "work permit" (green card), anyone can buy property...tit for tat, IMO

...errrr...is the house you bought in YOUR name...OK, slam, dunk, score...get ur azz to Los Cabos next Friday!

Archived