Are there any "over time" laws in LOS?

[color:blue]An employee working at least five hours in a day must be given a rest period of at least one hour. An employee must be given at least one day off each week.

[/color]

Heck, I had a union job and this provision is better than what I had in farangland.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never worked in LOS so not sure if I'm entitled to an opinion but what about the poor sweet little Isaan BG's?? 2 days off in a month doesn't sound kosher to me, with pays docked if they take days off, miss LD quotas etc.. I guess they are on 'salary' rather that an hourly rate so it doesn't apply. Sort of like a salesman, commission type system.

I should show this thread to my current employer.. After being dismissed from the best job I ever had in my life in spectacular fashion last year, I took a job as a truckie down here. Something I'd always wanted to give a whirl. My hourly rate is too embarrassing to quote here, but our contract states time and a half = 115% of the basic rate, and double time = 150%. Even though the "award" states 150/200%.. as does the dictionary!

Thankfully not much longer now...

I've never worked in LOS so not sure if I'm entitled to an opinion but what about the poor sweet little Isaan BG's?? 2 days off in a month doesn't sound kosher to me, with pays docked if they take days off, miss LD quotas etc.. I guess they are on 'salary' rather that an hourly rate so it doesn't apply. Sort of like a salesman, commission type system.

No, it is just highly illegal acts by the employers. But then again, prostitution is illegal in LoS, as is nudity, and anyone under 20 in a bar. So it's all relative, isn't it?

Well, legally on Saturday (probably yesterday too) the allocated vendors should have been able to set up shop on Silom for the shopping day.

But the illegal vendors who pay money to rent that space for the month were not about to move.

But But - just shows that Thailand is back to normal again!

Cheers!

What is the law and what actually happens are generally two different things. There is A LOT of pressure on employees in Thailand, especially the underlings, to work long hours with no thought to overtime. There is this crazy culture in many workplaces where the underlings won't go home before the boss does, even if the boss stays until 8 PM or later - even if the underlings have nothing to do!

My attitude would be that I simply would not want to work in such a place but for many Thai staff, they don't have the confidence to broach the subject with their boss, who often is, or at least is perceived as, a pooyai.

Archived