Are there any "over time" laws in LOS?

There is this crazy culture in many workplaces where the underlings won't go home before the boss does, even if the boss stays until 8 PM or later - even if the underlings have nothing to do!

Stick, it was exactly like that at the Korean company I worked for in America, office environment. My first day on the job, I'm sitting there 10 minutes after work, looking around, and nobody's moving. Finally, the one other white guy comes over and reminds me it's time to go home. I motioned around the room and said, "Well, then, what's this?" He said, "Just a Korean thing, doesn't apply to you. Don't worry, you'll get used to it." It applied to even the Korean American kids, though, and it was that way the entire 8 years I was there, and probably still is.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Mr. Stupid has it here...

Exempt vs Non-Exempt Employees

The federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that in addition to paying at least the minimum wage you also must pay overtime to employees who work more than 40 hours in a given workweek, unless they meet certain exceptions. Most workers are classified as either exempt or non-exempt depending on their salary and they type of work they do.

I once tried to complain to the Feds in the States about an employer who was short changing me on my pay. They told me that clearly I was being screwed. Unfortunately as a "professional" I was exempt from the laws and they couldn't help me. By definition professionals are doctors, lawyers and teachers. How the hell did lowly paid teachers get put in with doctors and lawyers? :banghead:

There is also such a thing in the USA as "an at will employee" who is there working of their own free will and thus accepts the terms the employer set. "Right to work states" are also another mess...most places/industries who have unions got them because they deserved them (paid low wages, took advantage of workers etc...).

Archived