Are there any "over time" laws in LOS?

Agree with this in general. But in Cali workers/wages are protected several state laws (it's the most regulated state in the nation)... and some of the more powerful unions are questionable in their actions (the teachers, nurses, and prison guard unions make it all but impossible to institute any kind of merit based pay, thus encouraging a certain level of apathy -- they also create a quagmire where getting rid of shady employees is an endless bureaucratic maze and it rarely happens until there's an enormous scandal). I've seen the impact with Nurses -- it's a pain in the ass. There has to be a little give too, especially now.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

Agreed. Power corrupts. It corrupts unions as well as Big Business and Government. As I said, human nature really. But, let me add, there was a bargaining process, and business has signed these contracts with the unions that make a lot of these problems eventually come along. These businesses have the best lawyers money can buy. Why can't they foresee these things and dig in their heels and negotiate harder? It goes both ways man. Don't just blame one side for the problems that crop up. These contracts are negotiated over long periods, have many people involved (many intelligent and 'reasonable' people on both sides), and there is usually a lot of give and take. Outrageous demands from both sides are usually just ploys for bargaining position. Most times more reasonable heads prevail and a fair and agreeable contract is put forth and signed by both parties. Fair to all.

One of the best ideas I saw was businesses giving their employees shares in the company as a part of their overall compensation. The company makes money, the employees make some money as well. It becomes in their best interests (the employees) to make the company fit and profitable. I feel there should be much more of this sort of sharing the wealth. It also can help give the employees more say in how the company is run.

In my experience, working 'at will' simply means the company can terminate its contract with the employee for any reason at any time, and the lucky employee enjoys the same privilege. :rolleyes:

Employment 'at will' gives the employer no exceptions to labor laws pertaining to working conditions or overtime pay, AFAIK. It's almost meaningless, because an employer can always find a reason to make you redundant if they want to. Pretty much any non-union worker in California is working 'at will.'

True they cannot avoid the state/federal laws, *but* they can work around them...such as comp time instead of pay (I always went for that!) Flexing your schedule etc...the overtime rules/laws can be avoided for some salaried people, but there is usually some other compensation involved...such as comp time, more shares etc...

"At will" means more less just that, and the company can change work rules when ever they want...as long as they are within the law...

Did you know that comp time must be used within the same pay period it was earned? Federal law, I think. Many companies ignore it, but I worked for one company (I was exempt, and in charge of hours) that was a stickler about it. It discouraged employees from taking comp time because most people want to tack it on to their vacation time, especially those in the travel biz.

Up to 5 year ago, not sure about now, but I carried 120 days of comp time for many years and was working for GE.

It was great as during the slow times in the year, I could bugger off to ski or whatever.

Once spent one month skiing at Jackson Hole and Idaho! It was excellent.

They finally changed the policy where you could only carry like 5 days.

No idea what they do today as I have been out of the game for a few years now.

Archived