Is there Action? Mae Sot, Mae Hong Son, Tat, etc.

the_numbers

Bear with me here I would rather get in a dialogue than cull the annals of NANA. Do any of you know about these ethnically diverse somewhat Northern border towns illicit activities. I am sure with the lack of tourism except the odd trekkers and what have you it's more tempered down as sex work, or bars friendly to foreigners go, but I am curious.

Those of you who live in LOS. I would like to hear about the industry that is focused in these areas, if existing. Would it probably be catered towards Thai men, and farang exclusionary. Would I be in kind of a forget about it, with regard to even making contact situation, because I speak elementary Thai, which is some. No doubt what is there will reveal itself over time, but since some of these towns are black market heavy it would seem to get into that border town melting pot spirit it might be only appropriate for some prurient interests to be catered to as well.

thanks in advance. don't expect too many people are headed out this way, but any info is appreciated.

Hi,

I work in the border towns of both Mae Sai and Mae Sot every 6 weeks or so. There is no Sanuk scene that is farang orientated - can't say about Mae Hong or Tat. Both Mae Sai and Mae Sot have Karaoke and Massage Parlours.

With a high number of transient business/commerce people, truck drivers plus the locals and the police/army, there is no shortage of places. They range from the two hundred baht Burma girls for the truck drivers, to the expensive karaoke bar singers for business men.

I would not say that these places (and girls) are, quote "farang exclusionary" by design, but they are by default. Good Thai skills will be needed - don't count on anyone in the MP's and Karaoke bars in these border towns on speaking English - which is enough to keep the tourists away in itself. You will be the only farang in these places and the Thais may well wonder what your doing there.

I've never heard of Tat. Do you mean Tak?

If you mean Tak, then Mae Sot is your best bet for sanuk, but the Amphur Muang does have a couple of karaoke brothels. In Mae Hong Son itself, there is a small red-light area to the west of town on the very edge, straight out past Mae Hong Son Guest House; also some seedy-looking joints along the bypass road that avoids the downtown section. Pai MIGHT have a place or two, not sure. Mae Sariang has one or two seedy places that seem to specialize in a truck-driver clientele.

Many of the girls in these areas are from Burma and/or hilltribe, and underage girls are a problem. Be especially careful about protection with THESE ladies, as HIV rates are dreadfully high among them. Personally, I think you should visit Tak and MHS for the beautiful scenery and save your sanuking for Chiang Mai; much happier hunting there.

Sorry, in my haste the fine confines of Tak -- the place I was speaking of in Thailand -- became the secret land of Tak, which has not yet even made it into Lonely Planet, but is hopefully yet to be discovered, like Elysian Fields and lost cities it would put all previous Sanuk grounds to shame -- now if it were just real.

LOS is ample though I must say for most worldly pleasures. I understand that it is a SERIOUS problem the infection rates in these areas. Even Chiang Mai supposedly putting Pattaya, and BKK to shame. The farang friendly areas being purportedly far safer according to the WHO's research. Karaoke Brothels, I saw some of these in provincial Cambodian towns; they provided rooms on site. Is this the same drill, and what kind of prices are these type of establishments running --- ballpark. not exact.

I believe Tak is in Lonely Planet, mainly because of Mae Sot, but not much info. I haven't bothered to fool around that much there, because what's there just ain't up to my "acceptable" level. I believe you can do short-time in a sad-looking brothel in MHS for less than 500 baht, but why you would want to is beyond me. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Any girl of talent and/or looks will find her way, voluntarily or otherwise, to Chiang Mai.

There's still some good selections in Chiang Mai.

Hi,

"and what kind of prices are these type of establishments running --- ballpark. not exact"

Certainly not speaking from experience, but if these are the kind of places I think they are than my estimate would be about 200-300 Baht, all in. And that is likely even farang inflated.

Prices can go as low as 50-100 Baht in some of the brothels used by truck drivers.

Sanuk!

Prices are going to vary in these towns depending on a) who you are B) who you want to Sanuk with c) where you want to Sanuk.

Many of the Karaoke joints do have rooms - and it is cheaper to use these than take a girl out of the Karaoke joint and back to your hotel room. As with many MP's the more beautiful girls cost more.

There is little sense of fun though in the sex industry in these towns. With transient populations of military, black market traders, Thai, Burmese, Chinese etc truck drivers, the industry is catered to the lower price market and in conditions to match this price - and with an infection rate that is very high - not many of the truck drivers are going to be using condoms.

This is where you may meet 'forced by a 3rd party' girls. However, I don't think the owners of the really bad places are going to let a farang, with their big mouths, into some of the cheaper/worse/more oppresive places.

I think your better off Sanuking in the established farang playgrounds. Yeah it maybe more expensive, but its cleaner, more fun and joyous and their are no oppressed/coerced girls working the farang joints.

Thanks everyone.

Sounds pretty well into depressing. It sounds like what I might have imagined, and it was not my intention to seek out sanuk in these areas in a "cheap scene" mentality either(considering the infection rates the WHO published alone should scare anyone).. the query was more inquisitive as to the nature of the scene because frankly I was clueless.

So, are a large number of Burmese working in these border areas? Probably Karin?

BTW, Khun Sanuk, Siam Sam, or others with experience. I met a German gentleman who was convinced about the Thais getting the best choice in working ladies even though they are veritably priced out of, and probably also wouldn't want to participate in the farang market. (not to mention Poseidon, etc)

Is this Bangkok urban legend: The German in questions' angle was that all the newest girls "best" straight from Isaan, etc. often end up at almost exclusively Thai places around Bangkok where you have to speak the language and be brought there. He was saying that alot of what's around everywhere we go is leftovers. This is absurd in most practical trains of thought I can follow, but the Thai people do have quirks, and I'm sure there is some differentiation into going to or being sold into either market. The profit margin seems quite high though in the NEP, Cowboy, etc. market for the short BG lifespan. Thoughts? Anyone? The man was an expat, and has a business -- he has been in LOS 10+ years, but maybe he is just being deceptive or misleading (misled).

Thoughts?

Don't kid yourself. There are a lot of rich Thai's in this land of 70 million ppl. I've often heard this fact of the very best being delegated to Thai usage only. The prositute trade is very small for us falangs, compared to the Thai trade. Also, not easy for a farm girl to, at first, be with a smelly, hairy, loud falang. I can easily see how the scouts who go to issan can convince a beauty that she would be much more comfortable in the company of another Thai man. I'm sure she is convinced also of protection, etc. if she sticks to this market. I would suspect also that parents are offered a large sum of bhat to have their daughter work for them, which will need to be paid back through services rendered, etc. These stunners are not used to service the average Thai construction worker making 200/day. These stunners are used to service the wealthy. Thai men utilizing hookers on a regular basis is legendary. A huge market. There are a lot more Knowledgeable people than me on this board who know the scoop, but I think you will find that this is the jist of the situation.

This makes quite a bit of sense, and I was inclined to believe the gentleman. It just stretches my imagination to wonder what these places are like, but my friend did say if you were brought to these places by a friend it was not impossible to get service as a "loud, hairy, farang".

Archived