Communication Solution, Take Two!

Savittre

Thanks to Shygye, Cavanami, Nervous God and Drogon for your replies.

Shygye- yeah, Internet-based services will depend on the quality of the Internet connection. Of course. I'll probably be in some places where the Internet connection is not that great.

Perhaps even in the very same place, the quality of the Internet connection fluctuates, day to day.

How can I know what my bandwidth is? And, how do I know if it's good enough for good call quality?

Cavanami- Thanks for the input on Skype. I'll configure it in hopes that it does as good for me as it does for you.

Drogon- Skype + voipdiscount + voipbuster + msn messenger + fishtext.

I take this to be a bundle of technology that would meet my needs? If that's so, I'm not clear on voipdiscount + voipbuster.

Guys, what about something that's not Internet reliant, like a mobile phone? The thing is, I expect I'll be moving around between different countries, so if I get a mobile phone and phone service set up in Thailand, I don't think I'd be able to use it when I'm not in Thailand, so I'd have to get mobile phone service set up again in the country I'm currently in, and so on, and so on. Is that what would happen? If so, that wouldn't be a great solution for me.

How about something from Apple? E.g. iPhone?

Is there anything else that's not Internet reliant that would meet my needs??

Many Thanks, once again!

iPhone -> I have to use one from the company as we have to be able to receive calls and emails wherever we are.

Some colleagues received the Blackberry

-> my experience so far: I have always received the calls and emails except where.....there was no network, roaming, as long as it provides mobile 3G is also working great.

The iPhone has of course the option to allow you to share internet (with your laptop for example), including if you are using a VPN (if for example the server you are using is located elsewhere).

This said: This is 3G -> I am currently toying with wimax 4G networks and I must admit there is a huge difference (when it is working) between the 3G and 4G, example: I tend to receive a lot of root reports every morning.

Their size can be up to 40-80MB -> 3G it takes a very very long time to the iPhone to download the email -> 4G is a lot faster.

So, yes an iPhone or one of its equivalent competitors might be your solution....where there is network

Note: voipdiscount + voipbuster. are two paying voip applications which I use for emergencies, and yes all the ones I wrote are a bunch of internet applications.

If cost is not an issue for you -> then forget the iPhone and the internet based solutions -> buy a sattelite phone iridium, globalstar or Inmarsat are all pretty decent I heard but I am not an expert on that.

OK - Drogons got some wrong info there

<< I have to use one from the company as we have to be able to receive calls and emails wherever we are.

Some colleagues received the Blackberry>>>

This can be any phone, as long as you have international roaming, just about all mobiles work unless your phone is the same technology as the country your in (Japan Korea main issues here if your using a old GSM mobile etc)

<<<-> my experience so far: I have always received the calls and emails except where.....there was no network, roaming, as long as it provides mobile 3G is also working great.>>>

No - GSM etc all are available for roaming, not just 3G

<>>

Nearly all mobiles these days allow you to do this, including my $50 Chinese cheapy

< I am currently toying with wimax 4G networks and I must admit there is a huge difference (when it is working) between the 3G and 4G, example: I tend to receive a lot of root reports every morning.

Their size can be up to 40-80MB -> 3G it takes a very very long time to the iPhone to download the email -> 4G is a lot faster.>>>

OK - WiMax and 4G two totally different technologies and need to dates separate devices to receive. There are some WiMax mobiles, but basically not going to happen, WiMax is a dying technology by the way.

4G is only just being launched, look at LTE for more info, better and larger data rates

<<>>

And after all this not sure how it helps you, just get roaming and use local sim cards for best rates. Dual Sim phone with you home Sim in it and keep changing and use the sim in no 2 slot from the country your in

< then forget the iPhone and the internet based solutions -> buy a sattelite phone iridium, globalstar or Inmarsat are all pretty decent I heard but I am not an expert on that.>>

About the worse advice so far.

HUGELY expensive, think $'s per minute, yes they work every where, as long as your outside, if your inside a building, they are crap.

ND: You used the wrong glasses or you were in a bad mood?

Wonder why you are trying to misinterpret everything I said

I never said other mobiles don't work, even my 6 years old 0 USD nokia works fine with roaming.

The 3G quote was connected to the email thing and download speed....

About internet sharing and vpn -> I was talking specifically about the iPhone as the OP question was about the iPhone, thank you my Chinese iPhone clone works fine too...

WIMAX 4G -> sorry but the / was forgotten, so so sorry.

There are some wimax mobiles -> we all have one here and they come from Taiwan.

Wimax doesn't seem to fare too badly in the USA, about it being a dying technology or not I couldn't care less as I am neither the inventor nor do I have shares in it -> I am just using it

LTE -> it could well be the future tech replacing wimax, once more, I couldn't care less -> look at the countries still using UMTS of course.

4G is just a term, while wimax and LTE are norms.

I am just stating generalities because I don't know the details -> I am not a telecom engineer obviously.

About the worse advice: The OP said cost isn't an issue -> so this is up to him to decide if he wishes to pay the bucks for it.

ND: If you ask which car is the fastest because you wish to have it and mention that price is not an issue -> so you expect me to advice you to buy a Ford???

If I said anything really wrong then please correct me but without misinterpretating what I wrote....I just answered the OP's specific question

Shyguy, agree, can't understand why he doesn't go the easy route.

Best solution is a good dual sim phone, you can use local sims, receive calls on your home sim, and use internet applications.

There is cheap, and there is viable.

Cheap isn't always viable.

drogon, Nervous God, shygye- THANKS!!

Sorry, drogon, about the friction between you and Nervous God. I know you were just trying to be helpful.

You guys were talking about the technology and the ways it can be applied, which are many.

I just want to be able to make phone calls to anywhere from anywhere at this point in time, basically... I think the best advice I got was..

"Best solution is a good dual sim phone, you can use local sims, receive calls on your home sim, and use internet applications."

See, my knowledge of communication technology is pretty much non-existant, but I think what's being said here is simply to buy a phone that can use more than one type of sim card, then I can buy a sim card that's local to the country I'm in, and my phone works with it, so I can always make my calls with no problem.

That's all I really need!

Again, thanks to all for your input. If I'm not pushing my luck too far, would anyone care to suggest/recommend a good quality dual sim phone?

I've had good luck with my Samsungs. Last one was a D880, but that's a few years old now, so there must be an upgrade to that one.

The thing you want to look for is that both SIMs are active at the same time. Otherwise, it's kinda pointless.

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/dual-sim-phone/index.idx?pagetype=subtype_p2

Archived