Largest Snake Encountered?

shygye

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago while staying in a small village nr. Kon Kaen whilst out jogging around the rice fields came within a couple of yards of a c.2m long blackish-brown snake-luckily it heard me coming otherwise I would have trodden on the thing.Also had a close encounter with a smaller one on the beach South Pattaya :surprised: as I was laid down didnt see it until it was quite close.It looked fairly harmless so ,on the basis that if left alone it wouldnt be a problem I ignored it.Some Thais standing nearby kicked up a big fuss and some sh*theads came and beat it to death with a stick.......

I ran over a thick yellowish snake what I think was about 3 meters long near Ban Chang. It looked huge when it appeared in front of my car in the dark, didn't stop to measure it though. I think I've seen the same but smaller one on Koh Mak before also crossing dirt road.

On Koh Chang I've seen plenty of snakes but nothing big. Friends saw a King Cobra in the middle of the village there. This one was captured not so long time ago in the jungle, don't know why they killed it? http://www.whitesandsthailand.com/images/front_page/Koh-Chang-Giant-Python.jpg

I arrived at work one morning, in central Bangkok, got out of the car, and almost stood on a huge snake. No idea what it was but it was big and brown and green in colour.

I went and told the janitor who recited a Thai idiom that meant that I would soon find a girlfriend. I then went off to tell the director of the school who just chuckled away and didn't seem in the least bit concerned that one of our little Somchais might stand in the thing!

In Suriname (South America) where I lived for 4 years snakes in our garden where a virtual daily occurrence. No poisonous ones though, but a nice variety of small and big ones. Hell we even had a crocodile in our garden once! He had broken through the fence between our garden and a huge swamp at the back. I was looking why the dogs were so upset about! I was nearly on top of the animal before I spotted it. He was sunning in the lawn. Quite tame actually even when the guys came to remove him/her.

When we had just arrived in Suriname we did our first jungle trekking (a real Amazonian jungle, not the 5 trees they call a jungle here in Thailand or the monsoon forests I have been to here). I was 12 years old and we had only just arrived but they let me walk point with a big cutting knife (kapmes in Dutch) to make way. I was enthusiastically slashing away at the jungle, not paying attention to the ground.

Then all of a sudden everyone started shouting STOP! I asked WHY? They said look in front of you. I said: NAH NOTHING JUST SOME ROOTS .... HEY WAIT A MINUTE IT IS MOVING .... I almost shit my pants and ran away.

The snake fled into a hollow tree. The guide than bbq-ed the tree alive in the tree stump and took it out and we ate it. It was a poisonous snake, parrot snake or something like that. After the snake the guide said if it had bitten me, we would never have been able to find a doctor soon enough as we were hours from the nearest road and I might have died. That same trip I encountered my first scorpions, leeches, Poisonous spiders and other assorted animal and plant life of a hostile variety. Learned a lot on that trip. Especially never to enter a jungle without a big knife!

In 11 years of Thailand I have never ever encountered a life snake in the wild in Thailand .... yet.

Archived