McDonald's Server Scam or Mistake? An Anecdote.

expat

Last night I grabbed some junk food on the way home at Mikkie D's. I paid with a thousand-baht note, but had to wait while they assembled my order. As I waited, I looked at my change and realized it was a hundred baht short.

I took the money back to the counter, spread it out and when the server finished looked over she said "oh, 100 baht short" or the equivalent (I can't remember her exact words). She then rang up the customer she was waiting on, and reached in the till and gave me a hundred baht.

This seemed quite suspicious to me, so I asked to speak to the manager--"Kaw pood gap poochigan noi krap." She just stood there like she didn't understand, so I went to another server and said exactly the same thing. The second server went in the back and got a manager. I told him what had happened, and said that I found it quite odd. I then left.

Perhaps it was a mistake on her part, but I guess I'll never know.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just home from a week..."down the Beach"...

Almost exact same thing happened to my friend at 7/11's in Jomtiem

Two seperate occasions he paid his bill, was handed change....looked at it realizing it was short 20 baht...and stood there with his hand out...

On BOTH occaisions the checkout operator...Immediately and without any discussion whatsoever....put another 20 baht note into his hand...

Sure sounds like a scam to me

Hi,

"And yes, if there is a shortfall it comes out of their pockets. "

Is this the same in the West? (curious as I really don't know)

I was actually given 10K too much at the bank once when doing a couple transactions at the same time. Noticed a few minutes later and went back to tell them. Pretty sure they would have found out anyway.

Sanuk!

Years ago, a friend's wife was a bank teller in the US. Once she realised she had miscounted and given $100 too much to someone who had just made a withdrawal. She promptly pointed it out to the man, who said no she didn't .. and walked off with the extra C-note. The bank took the money out of the teller's salary.

Hi,

"And yes, if there is a shortfall it comes out of their pockets. "

Is this the same in the West? (curious as I really don't know)

I was actually given 10K too much at the bank once when doing a couple transactions at the same time. Noticed a few minutes later and went back to tell them. Pretty sure they would have found out anyway.

Sanuk!

I worked at McDonalds in the Netherlands part-time for over 4 years (1990-1994). As long as the difference in your register is within 3% plus or minus there is no trouble. Above that different options from a warning to firing if it occurs to frequently. But they never took it out of your pay.

You had to sign for the register you get (and count it) with usually 200 guilders in change in it. In the evening you and the manager both had to count the register and sign. Oddly enough no register ever would be precisely correct there would always be some shortage or plus. Usually a few guilders. The branch I worked at, at the beach in Scheveningen held the record for the highest hourly take in the Netherlands (6.500 guilders in one hour). As back than there were maybe 30 McDonalds restaurants in NL the hourly turnovers were very high. Over the years as more restaurants opened up hourly sales came down as close branches competed for the same customers. In later branches I worked in 1.000 - 2.000 guilders was considered a good hourly take and 10.000 guilders a good daily one! In the summer in Scheveningen we easily did 40.000 guilders a day. And Scheveningen beach was and still is an extremely small branch.

The Scheveningen record was only beaten at the temporary restaurant at the Floriade where I worked in the summer of 1992 (they selected the best and most experienced crew of the region for that one and paid us more as we had to work our butts of) We did 12.000 in one hour there. We even had to close the place and stop customers from coming in that day! As we couldn't handle it.

In the Netherlands in that period working for McD was great as they paid 50% above the horeca minimum wage (minimum wage for staff in hotels restaurants and cafe's). In 1994 they changed that to 10% above the Horeca minimum wage and got rid of all the staff on the old "labour agreement" not willing to go over to the lower wage. It wasn't just the wage, but also the staff and locations of the branches I worked at all in touristy locations that actually made for a great time working there in the beginning. Especially Scheveningen. Morning at the beach. Going to work. Work for 8-10 hours (OT) then partying at night and go back home and repeat cycle. Those were my school holidays!

Several years back on a Saturday I went to one of the branch banks where I have my accounts.

Was wanting to cash soem checks and put some in my accounts.

I had the slips all filled out and checks in hand.

The teller informs me that I filled them out wrong.

Huh? Well anyway I was in a hurry and did my banking and was then at the truckstop counting my party funds for LOS.

Well I'm 1500.00 short....

I recount look at deposit slips. Still short.

I try calling the bank, get forwarded to the main office telling me that branch is closed for the day!!

I got ahold of the help desk and tell them what happened.

They said they might find it come Mondasy and come back then.

I'm like no I will be out of the country then.

I go back to the bank, They are still open.

I walk in with my slips and ask for a manager.

We talk and they did a drawer count with said teller.

Yep she shorted me the money.

One thing in my favor was I kept the old slips she had said I did wrong and the reciepts she gave me.

Was she trying to make a few bucks or accident I do not know, but the manager did take her in back for a chat as I was leaving.

Worked for American bank implementing software and had daily/weekly amount for teller errors, as long as the error stayed within limits, no problems.

One day had teller who had a personal cheque in his drawer to balance the amount he secretly borrowed. Audit did a spot check and she got fired on the spot.

Was having lunch in a Dutch restaurant and a bank agency team was eating an discussing next table. They missed the equivalent of 1 baht. Boss said they needed to go back to office and find the 1 baht, whatever it would take....

Archived