Blackie has passed away. RIP

Stickman

Blackie, the colourful Australian who used to be a member of this board way back in the old days, and who hosted get togethers at his soi 26 condo on Sundays, recently passed away. He had been in poor health for some time, a combination of a lifetime of smoking and a nasty broken leg which refused to heal.

Blackie was a real character, gruff but generous at the same time.

My favourite Blackie memory concerns one of the Sunday afternoons at his apartment. Blackie would hold court and tell us all about his latest conquests and what he’d been up to at Soi Cowboy during the week.

On this particular Sunday Khun Sanuk and I were the first to arrive at his place. Blackie dragged us through to his computer room where he showed us photos he had taken of some bird from the night before. "Oh mate, she wouldn't shag me but she gave me the blowjob from heaven", he said in his gruff way.

Standing behind Blackie whilst looking at the computer screen, Khun Sanuk and I looked at each other in horror. It was clearly a ladyboy!

There are plenty more Blackie stories but perhaps I should close this by saying something nice. Blackie was a colourful character, liked by everyone who knew him and he will be missed. May he rest in peace.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is too bad.

Blackie was always good for a laugh and a story and I enjoyed him. He had an amazing time in BKK and truth was always stranger than fiction when it came to him. The run of stolen mobiles and other things that the girls took, the small businesses he ran and ideas he had. He was always one step away from a million dollars and I was suprised he never made it. I will remember him forever, he and his life were unforgettable. I was always interested in hearing his latest escapade and am sorry he will not be around to grace BKK again. It looks like those damn soi dogs got the last laugh.

I only met him once at a Woodstock meeting, same time as I first met you, Loo_Doot & Stick. He was looking worse for wear after a horrendous previous night. I got the impression there were a lot of rough hangovers in Blackie's life. He sure was friendly and welcoming though. Sorry to hear he's passed.

I enjoyed his company on some of those sunday afternoons as well and I remember him as a generous host with a huge appetite for the good things in life. He and I came to Bangkok around the same time, and when we met he was on the up. I lost touch with him soon afterwards, but always enjoyed hearing stories about Blackie. To say that he was colourful was an understatement. He sure led an interesting life. I will miss him. He was a Bangkok legend, at least to me!

To : FLASHERMAK

So was mine (in 1788) but 'I' didn't bother swimming the Mekong.

HE, stole 40lb of lead and the girl he married in SYD stole a necklace in London and was sentenced to death.

Snatch and run. :-)

He was clearing land given to him by Gov Bligh in Penrith, NSW and was bitten by a yellow bellied snake, died, and left her with 5 boys to bring up from 1812..... I'm one of the results, 5/6 generations down the line...... :-)

All was reported in the Sydney Gazette in 1812.

Hi,

Very sorry to hear this. I too have some fond memories of Blackie (and remember the incident Stickman described quite well, Blackie was quite proud of his conquest).

I also remember him as being one of the first domain squatters. He had some great domain names, including rocknroll.com, rugbyleague.com, rugbyunion.com. Could have made some serious money out of those, but - in true Blackie style - it all fucked up leaving him with nothing.

A true character and he will be missed.

KS

Really sad to hear this, told the wife and she is very sad, she remembers how we'd bring our little girl over, they'd swim downstairs, we'd all chat upstairs.

He was a generous soul, the drama's he put my wife through, trying to translate between him and his latest love, where hysterical.

Very sad to hear this,

I envy those who live life like he did, life at it's fullest, not scared to chase a dream. It doesn't always work out for the best, but you end with the best memories.

So Blackie was the one whose convict ggg granddaddy stole the lead. I'd forgotten which Aussie it was. (John Everingham's ggg grandpa stole legal books from a lawyer! :doah: )

I liked Blackie. He was one of a kind. Seems like he was always getting sick or getting over being sick.

:rip:

I also remember him as being one of the first domain squatters. He had some great domain names, including rocknroll.com, rugbyleague.com, rugbyunion.com. Could have made some serious money out of those, but - in true Blackie style - it all fucked up leaving him with nothing.

Blackie was offered US$10,000 for one of his domain names. He said no and demanded $100,000. The deal fell through, and Blackie ended up losing all of his domain names when they came due for renewal and he couldn't even afford to do so.

Typical Blackie. He'd always get close to making money, and then something would happen. He reminded me of the character in the Li'l Abner comic that always had a black cloud following him around.

Archived