Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo

Guest baldrick

LP obviously assumed that everyone knew that benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a disorder caused by problems in the inner ear. Its symptoms are repeated episodes of positional vertigo, that is, of a spinning sensation caused by changes in the position of the head. :doah:

My mother had serious vertigo attacks when I was a teenager. They struck here for over a year, then went away never to return.

About 6 years ago, I got hit by it myself. As WYD says, it is frightening. Even lying flat on my bed, my head kept spinning and spinning. It lasted several days, and I couldn't leave the house. It would return at unexpected times for almost a month. Then it vanished. But every time I feel a bit dizzy even now, I start worrying. It was NO FUN, believe me. You can't even stay on your feet.

:(

p.s. You can take Antivert (commercial name) to stop it, but I haven't found the stuff over here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo

Guest lazyphil

very, very scarey condition, my uncle (a gp) has given me an over the phone diagnonis, lives in manchester so unable to do face to face, based on everything he asked me/told him he's 99% sure its BPPV, but suggests i get the eye test thing to confirm this. the nausea feeling has made me drop a couple of kilos, so trying to eat more so not to loose more lol.....

WYD, was that the epley position you did which helped?

Munchie, i wasn't trying to fox anyone, not a pub quiz question, just assumed anyone who'd suffered BPPV would actually know the name of the condition!

The Epley maneuver (or Epley's exercises) is a maneuver used to treat benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). It is often performed by a doctor or a physical therapist, but can be performed by the patient at home. This maneuver was developed by Dr. John Epley and first described in 1980.

The procedure is as follows:

1. Sit upright.

2. Turn your head to the symptomatic side at a 45 degree angle, and lie on your back.

3. Remain up to 5 minutes in this position.

4. Turn your head 90 degrees to the other side.

5. Remain up to 5 minutes in this position.

6. Roll your body onto your side in the direction you are facing; now you are pointing your head nose down.

7. Remain up to 5 minutes in this position.

8. Go back to the sitting position and remain up to 30 seconds in this position.

The entire procedure should be repeated two more times, for a total of three times.

During every step of this procedure the patient may experience some dizziness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epley_maneuver

Archived