Lost Luggage - Urgent

Hamokhamok

My daughter in law has arrived in Boston (USA) on a Delta / KLM flight and her suitcase has gone missing.

She has been told that it will cost her US$150.00 to get it delivered to her when they find it.

Anyone here have any similar experience and is it correct that the owner of the luggage has to pay for its delivery when the airline is at fault ??

She is staying in some place about 2 hours drive from the airport.

I'm probably too late to get any replies at this time of the night but hopefully someone reads this soon.

Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No recent experience. In the good ol' days the airline would have paid for the delivery, but nothing they do nowadays surprises me anymore.

Perhaps she could arrange to have them put the bag on a flight to an airport nearer to her where she could pick it up, if that's possible.

I am 30 miles from Logan International, in Boston.

NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

Several times, my bags have been delivered no charge, to my home,and once to a hotel.

The airlines, even allowed, the purchase of personal items, necessities, before the bag arrived at their expense.

I guess things have changed.

From an ex-airline employee (me)............it depends on what the circumstances are that the airline is trying to get the passenger to pay for the delivery. Did she take an earlier flight? Did she somewhere along the way voluntarily separate from her luggage? Did she check in late at her origin (normally within 30 minutes of flight time)

If DL is truly to blame for this, in other words, she checked in on time, took her scheduled flights and the bag never arrived, then they are responsible for delivery.

Talk to a supervisor when the bag arrives if they still try to charge you. If they won't budge, get anything you can in writing from them saying they won't deliver it, get a receipt from the delivery agent and then make copies of all and send a letter to the DOT.

At Bangkok I have had bags that Northwest had sent to the wrong place, the reps had me identify the type of bag and sign some forms and they delivered the bag for free to my place. I would think that if Delta screwed up they should deliver for free. I even got a "health and welfare" type package of soap, razor, aftershave, new T-shirt and some other stuff from China Airlines for a missing bag. The final carrier is responsible for tracking down your bag.

Why not call Delta and see if this is normal procedure?

One thing I do when flying is to take a digital photo of what my bags look like. This way I can show anyone if it gets lost.

Sorry.

Also wanted to add.....she is entitled to 50 bucks immediately and 25 bucks each 24 hours afterwards for 4 days. After that, it would be considered lost and insurance forms mailed to her. That happens but very very rarely. Probably 1 percent of the time.

Have her keep any receipts and also call DL to make sure the dollar amounts I gave are correct. I quit 2 years ago before the merger (I worked for NWA) so they may have changed. Get authorization to cover your bases to spend the money but she is entitled to it either way.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - appreciated.

Still sketchy information coming from her through messages (SMS).

Apparently the $150 is for delivering the bag to a place outside Boston City area.

As far as I know she wasn't 'offered' any money.

Expect to get more information today when the USA wakes up.

Archived