Feds raid Amish dairy and threaten action over raw milk sales

cavanami

Government, public health and dairy industry officials want to restrict the sale and distribution of raw milk, citing safety concerns. But small dairy farmers, organic consumers' advocates and raw milk drinkers say that safety isn't the real issue -- it's control of the dairy market.

In January, the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) proposed new regulations that would ban off-the-farm sale and distribution of raw milk. Prior to making the regulations public, MDAR issued cease-and-desist orders to four milk-buying clubs.

While no one has died in Massachusetts because of raw milk, [color:red]three people died in 2007 from Listeriosis from pasteurized milk[/color].

According to In These Times:

"Considering the relative safety of raw milk and its possible [color:red]health benefits[/color], campaigns against its legalization are surprisingly intense, and not just in Massachusetts."

David Gumpert, author of The Raw Milk Revolution, argues that regulation is "not about safety -- [color:red]it's about protecting markets[/color]."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/20/raw-milk-bans-are-about-protecting-big-dairy.aspx

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, let's see how this wing-nut account jives with what really happened. Remember this "raid" happened back in April.

Link

After tooling around, the cars showed up Allgyer’s property. “They all got out of their vehicles – five men all together–with big bright flashlights they were shining all around.

So 5 people constitutes a Gestapo swarm. Next time the Gestapo should use small, dim flashlights.

When they couldn’t find anybody, they prepared to knock on the door of my darkened house. Just before they got to the house I stepped out of the barn and hollered at them, then they came up to me and introduced themselves.â€Â

So the agents and inspectors introduced themselves to Allgyer. Now that is certainly a very polite "raid".

When Allgyer asked why the agents wanted to inspect his farm, FDA investigator Joshua C. Shafer said, “We have credible evidence that you are involved in interstate commerce.â€Â

Wow, these Gestapo agents even explained why they came to the farm.

They spent about a half hour digging through the packed coolers filled with milk and other food – all private property – taking pictures.â€Â

After watching the agents root through his barn, open his freezers, and dig through his dumpster, Allgyer set about milking the cows, hours behind schedule.

“When I was just about done milking, Schafer and the other agent came in the barn and wanted me to answer some more questions. I told them I would not. The second agent said, ‘Are you gong to deliver those coolers to Bethesda and Bowie Maryland?’ I just looked at him. Then Schafer made a gesture and said, ‘The stickers with those towns names are on the coolers,’ as through to say, you might as well tell me.â€Â

Certainly seems like a case of interstate commerce.

Allgyer refused to say anything and the agents left. Several days later, Allgyer received a letter from the Food and Drug Administration that read, “An investigation by the u.s. Food and Drug Administration has determined that you are causing to be delivered into interstate commerce, selling, or otherwise distributing raw milk in final package form for human consumption.â€Â

Wow, these Gestapo agents didn't even torture him into a confession! Gestapo training must really have eased. Must be due to the quotas for minorities to become Gestapo.

So let me get this straight Cav. FDA agents went to a farm where a farmer was illegally distributing raw mild across state lines. This is against the law. The FDA agents were enforcing the law.

Yet in the same breath, you rail against the president to failing to enforce immigration laws? Geez, pal, which is it???

And by the way, you seriously need to upgrade your news sources.

Where's the search warrant?

Where's the proof that there had been shipments across state lines?

Stickers on a cooler? that's NOT proof.

Just accept that the Fed gov can do whatever they want, continue to shit on the US constitution, continue to go after soft targets...never let the REAL problems get in the way of an easy soft target!

the Amish...give me a farkin break! Raid at 0430? what are the Feds worried that this guy will jet off in his Lear jet...55555555555555

Where's the search warrant?

This is from the article you posted.

"The group began to interrogate Allgyer, and served him a warrant claiming they had "credible evidence" that he was involved in interstate commerce involving raw milk.

Where's the proof that there had been shipments across state lines?

Stickers on a cooler? that's NOT proof.

I am probably naive here but one can't just type up a warrant and serve it, it has to be put before a judge and proof has to be given to him/her. If the judge signed the warrant, there must have been something to look into.

I cant speak to LA but in NC we had a serious outbreak from tainted raw mike in the early 2000's I think 50 people were hospitalized and the farmer was almost burned at the stake.

It turned out he knew something was wrong as he warned two people but not anyone else. So everyone else was pretty pissed. I'll try to find the link.

I know it is supposed to taste good but milk is one of those items I would rather have go through a process.

I cant speak to LA but in NC we had a serious outbreak from tainted raw mike in the early 2000's I think 50 people were hospitalized and the farmer was almost burned at the stake.

It turned out he knew something was wrong as he warned two people but not anyone else. So everyone else was pretty pissed. I'll try to find the link.

I know it is supposed to taste good but milk is one of those items I would rather have go through a process.

My brother emailed me about the NC case, seems raw milk is uninsurable so the farmer lost the whole dairy and went to jail for 18 months.

Archived