Lawsuit challenges airport full-body scanners

cavanami

Good news!

Lawsuit challenges airport full-body scanners

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/08/04/lawsuit_challenges_airport_full_body_scanners/

A privacy advocacy group is suing the Department of Homeland Security to suspend the use of the controversial full-body scanners employed at airports across the country, including at every major checkpoint at Logan International Airport.

The machines, which use X-rays or radio frequency energy to detect weapons and explosives beneath passengers’ clothing, have been much criticized because of privacy concerns.

In the lawsuit, filed last month, the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington, D.C., said the slightly blurred but accurate pictures of passengers’ naked bodies produced by the machines are the [color:red]equivalent of a “digital strip search[/color].’’...

Not taking a side either way, BT, but it used to be worse/better?? When I first started with my first airline, airline employees (on duty and in uniform) could just bypass/walk around the security checkpoints by showing their airport badge. I believe that ceased when a People's Express employee went to work and killed some people on an airplane.

It would still be very easy to do something of the sort but with thorough backround checks and fingerprinting of employees, I think that risk is very low now.

... and you're an idiot if you think X-rays is not ionizing radiation.

A Columbia University scientist is questioning whether full body scanners used to screen airline passengers may pose a cancer risk.

Dr. David Brenner, chief of the center for radiological research at New York's Columbia University, tells the Daily Mail of London that radiation from the scanners has been "underestimated." ...

Archived