Obamacare Defeated- Proposition C Passes in Missouri with 70% Support

cavanami

I bought a dozen pre-formed hamburger patties at the market the other day.

Got home and saw a sticker on the package that read, "Product of the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand."

WTF???

I'd have less cognitive dissonance had the meat simply come from one of the latter countries, but coming from them all and being sold at some kind of clearing house for old, bad meat makes me want to go vegan.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bright side of the healthcare 'reform' is that it will literally force adaptation. It'll have to.

The downside is that it's your usual bureaucratic mess and even it's proponents don't understand the logistics. It'll definitely be interesting.

We'll see.

Decisions are made by the people that show up.

Dems are shooting themselves in the foot. Again.

Except this wasn't a "decision". It was a protest vote' date=' and was non-binding. Designed to drum up teabagger votes and dollars.[/quote']

Which makes it even more funny when the Dems bitch about it if you ask me.

From what I read, they only talked about it after the GOP was making a big deal about it. Calling press conferences and the like. It was in reaction to the GOP's response.

But I wasn't there and I'm only going by the news accounts I read on the Internet.

Some of what you note was addressed on, of all places, "60 Minutes" last night. I was surprised as hell that a bastion of liberalism would air this piece. I'm just wondering why they didn't produce it during the debate on health care. (Oh, that's right. There wasn't any debate.)

Obama care, if it is not killed off, will kill off the country (economically). Medicare/Medicaid is just not sustainable in the way it is administered now or under Obamacare. And if 10 million + wetbacks were added into the equation...well, that would be the fucking end of it all.

Here's a link to the transcript of the show. Worth reading if you want to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/05/60minutes/main6747002.shtml?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

The video version is at : http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6754650n

HH

... well why don't you tear up your Medicare card and be part of the solution! :devil:

Why don't you, for once, try to make an intelligent comment that isn't personal? In the meantime, if you qualify for Medicare, why don't you tear yours up? If you don't qualify, too fucking bad if you don't have private insurance, cuz Obamacare will be a footnote in history soon...either overturned or not funded.

HH

P.S. any worthwhile comments addressing the 60 Minutes piece? Did you read it? Did you view the link? Didn't think so.

:mooning:

From the 60 minutes transcript:

"Marcia Klish is either being saved by medical technology or being prevented from dying a natural death.

She is 71 years old and suffering from the complications of colon surgery and a hospital-acquired infection. She has been unconscious in the intensive care unit at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H., for the better part of a week.

One of her doctors, Ira Byock, told "60 Minutes" correspondent Steve Kroft it costs up to $10,000 a day to maintain someone in the intensive care unit. Some patients remain here for weeks or even months; one has been there for six months.

"This is the way so many Americans die. Something like 18 to 20 percent of Americans spend their last days in an ICU," Byock told Kroft. "And, you know, it's extremely expensive. It's uncomfortable. Many times they have to be sedated so that they don't reflexively pull out a tube, or sometimes their hands are restrained. This is not the way most people would want to spend their last days of life. And yet this has become almost the medical last rites for people as they die."

Dr. Byock leads a team that treats and counsels patients with advanced illnesses.

He says modern medicine has become so good at keeping the terminally ill alive by treating the complications of underlying disease that the inevitable process of dying has become much harder and is often prolonged unnecessarily.

When you start making very logical arguments that medical care like this should not be funded, you get extremists screaming about "death panels" or "rationing".

I am assuming, HH, that you don't want your insurance to cover such "treatment"."

Archived