Bikini Briton arrested in Dubai

Flashermac

A British woman has been arrested and charged with indecency after walking through a Dubai shopping mall wearing a bikini. :doah:

The Foreign Office confirmed the woman was arrested and charged, but the charges have since been dropped.

The holidaymaker is believed to have been arrested after a complaint that she was dressed indecently in Dubai Mall, the world's largest shopping centre.

It is believed the woman walked through the mall wearing a revealing top, attracting the complaint from a local woman. She then apparently stripped down to a bikini, prompting her arrest, the Daily Mail reported. :surprised:

A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office confirmed the woman had been arrested and charged with indecency at the mall.

She said: "We are aware of the case. We have offered consular assistance." But she said the charges have since been dropped.

This is not the first time a Briton has fallen foul of Dubai's strict laws.

Businessman Vince Acors and publishing executive Michelle Palmer received three-month jail terms after being convicted of having sex on a beach in July 2008 while Charlotte Adams, 26, and Ayman Najafi, 24, were jailed for a month earlier this year for kissing in a restaurant.

Advice on the Foreign Office website reminds tourists visiting the United Arab Emirates that local laws reflect the fact it is an Islamic country.

It says: "You should respect local traditions, customs, laws and religions at all times, and be aware of your actions to ensure that they do not offend other cultures or religious beliefs.Women should dress modestly when in public areas, such as shopping malls. Clothes should cover the tops of the arms and legs, and underwear should not be visible.

"Public displays of affection are frowned upon and there have been several arrests for kissing in public."

Link

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link

Well, maybe to a veiled muslim woman it was a bikini. :rolleyes:

A SHAKEN British mum told yesterday how she was arrested in Dubai after a veiled Muslim woman accused her of STRIPPING in a shopping mall.

Tessa Meager, 28, was wearing a kaftan and white shorts as she shopped with daughter Helen, ten.

But the local woman stopped her, pointed to her clothes, began screaming "Respect!" and called security staff.

The distraught mum - on holiday with Helen - was then arrested by police in front of the bewildered girl. And she was subjected to a three-day ordeal during which she learned the woman claimed she had stripped naked in the plush Dubai Mall.

Mature law student Tessa was charged with "outraging public decency" following a police interrogation she did not understand.

She was finally brought before a prosecutor on Wednesday for another hour-long grilling conducted entirely in Arabic.

But the charge was dropped when CCTV pictures from the mall exposed the Arab woman's claims as a pack of lies.

Tessa, of Morden, South London, said: "This woman took exception to me and I have no idea why.

"She started shouting at me. She was pointing at my clothes screaming, 'Respect!'

"I tried to explain I had just been swimming. I showed her the top of the bikini I had on under my kaftan but this seemed to annoy her even more.

"She said I was disrespecting her faith.

"I don't know why I was targeted. About 95 per cent of the people in the mall were wearing less than me.

"I'm amazed she was believed by the police.

"She told them I took everything off and was standing in the mall with no clothes on."

Few questions come to mind.

First, I wonder if they will charge the moslem women with lying? Its clear she lied.

Second, why didn't they simply look at the cctv camera after she was accused? Why did she have to spend 3 days in jail?

Third, why do some people insist on going to a country where things like that can and do happen?

Thailand has its quirks but compared to some of these islamic countries its not even close.

I'd NEVER consider working or holidaying in a place like that. I'd work there only if I was completely desperate for the money and before going I'd make sure I was well versed in the various cultural and legal pitfalls that could befall a westerner.

Archived