Bikini Briton arrested in Dubai

Flashermac

Truce.

I thought you were coming from a racist/religionist/Fox Noise propagandist you-can-fool-the-plebs angle. Now that I know it’s general interest/humanitarian I’ll pull my head in re Middle East affairs, unless the Israelis do something exceptionally outrageous.

I am purely opposed to Zionists (not Jews) which includes Likud and anything to the right of the Israeli Peace Now movement. The state of Israel is here to stay. IMO for their own good (and the world's) Israelis must make a just peace with their neighbouring Palestinians and vice versa of course. My fervent desire is that one day young Israeli/Palestinian Jews Muslims and Christians will not give a toss about each others’ religions and compete amicably only with their chat-up lines in a disco trying to impress the tart with the big tits.

I am against all religious extremist nutters, Muslim included. I don’t post about it because there are plenty of racists around who will and I don’t want to appear to be jumping on their bandwagon.

I am well aware of and disgusted by atrocities particularly against women committed by some in the name of Islam … stoning, mutilation, clitorectomies, forced underage marriage etc. Personally, I don’t give a hoot about religious symbols… turbans, skullcaps, pointy Pope hats with a crook ready to do a spot of shepherding in case he has to give up the day job… no worries… they’re all 100% certifiable anyway. As far as repressive Muslim dress I’d like to see the burqa and niqab banned, even though many Muslim women say its their own choice. It’s a slippery slope when you start inhibiting personal freedom, but sometimes you have to legislate to save people from themselves. I have no objection to hijab though. No objection to anything anyone wears really… won’t make one iota of difference to my life.

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll give my anti Islamophobic rant a rest too.

Shalom.

:beer:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Ah, so tomorrow when landing at CGD Paris I can shout "Respect" when I see a woman hiding her face behind a burqa/niqab, France did vote that law recently, no? "

No, of course not! This isn't about respecting the local culture, it is all about respecting Islam.

So, in the case you mention above you should be respecting the woman's cultural values rather than her respecting the cultural values of the country she is in. If of course, you would be in an Islam country, the country's cultural values should be placed above the visiting person's cultural values.

Sanuk!

Ever hear about the Mormon missionaries who had their photos taken sitting on the head of a large, centuries old Buddha figure in the ruins at Ayutthaya? The fit hit the shan when the idiots sent to film to be developed at a Thai shop! The outraged owner turned the pics in to the police.

The young Mormon guys said they didn't think they had done anything wrong, since Buddhism didn't mean anything to them. The Thais thought differently ... and expelled them from the country. The Mormon missionaries didn't have anyone who wanted to talk to them for quite some time after that.

Since then the LDS church tries to teach them something about the culture of country they are going to, as well as just the language (which they are taught very well, BTW).

Hi,

"Ah, so tomorrow when landing at CGD Paris I can shout "Respect" when I see a woman hiding her face behind a burqa/niqab, France did vote that law recently, no? "

No, of course not! This isn't about respecting the local culture, it is all about respecting Islam.

So, in the case you mention above you should be respecting the woman's cultural values rather than her respecting the cultural values of the country she is in. If of course, you would be in an Islam country, the country's cultural values should be placed above the visiting person's cultural values.

Sanuk!

So Islam people living in Europe don't need to respect European cultural values, but if I visit an Islam country I need to respect their values.

I really take offense with woman hiding their whole bodies behind burqas/niqabs but I can't express my dislike in my own country?

Please note French parliamant did vote a law on 13 July 2010 prohibiting wearing burqas/nicabs in public places: (seems Belgium will follow)

PARIS  France's lower house of parliament overwhelmingly approved a ban on wearing burqa-style Islamic veils Tuesday, part of a determined effort to define and protect French values that has disconcerted many in the country's large Muslim community.

Proponents of the law say face-covering veils don't square with the French ideal of women's equality or its secular tradition. The bill is controversial abroad but popular in France, where its relatively few outspoken critics say conservative President Nicolas Sarkozy has resorted to xenophobia to attract far-right voters.

The ban on burqas and niqabs will go in September to the Senate, where it also is likely to pass. Its biggest hurdle will likely come after that, when France's constitutional watchdog scrutinizes it. Some legal scholars say there is a chance it could be deemed unconstitutional.

Hi,

"So Islam people living in Europe don't need to respect European cultural values, but if I visit an Islam country I need to respect their values."

Unfortunately that is how it seems Western governments are dealing with this :(

Sanuk!

PS From your reply it looks like you may not have understood, but my reply was meant to be sarcastic. I fully agree with your views on this.

Indeed, missed the sarcasm of your reply.

I am on my way to a funeral tonight, no sense of humor in me right now.

I will have a 3 hour layover tonight in Dubai and enjoy the burqa look there. I don't mind really, it's their place, I will show respect for Islam though when men will hide their faces behind a veil also :doah: , why only women?

Now when I see Galeries Lafayette security agents to be arabs, I wonder in which country I am.

Maybe we could also give it a thought when we walk around in Thailand, in their country :o and I don't mean Islam here.

OK, on my way to Udon airport now.

Archived