Bikini Briton arrested in Dubai

Flashermac

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Pakistani friend who is married a Thai Buddhist. (He said he didn't realise he wasn't supposed to.) He told me he took his wife on a visit to his parents in Pakistan, and she was quite surprised to see the women weren't covered from head to foot. He says the Qu'ran only requires that women "hide their beauty". Most Pakistanis take that to mean cover their hair, not their face, lower arms, or lower legs.

Cav is right though. Go down Sukhumwit and you are surrounded by little black Daleks. But I've only seen one Thai university student covered by a burqa. The weather was hotter than Hades, and my immediate reaction was that her arsehole father should be required to dress the same way to see how he liked it.

Who's the bigger bully?

A Muslim in Dubai telling a farang woman what she must not wear.

or,

A farang in the west telling a Muslim woman what she must not wear.

:dunno:

The problem starts with many Arab/muslim women being bullied into wearing those Burkas in the first place.

As for the west telling these people they can't cover their faces for Passport and Drivers license photos etc, that is just common sense. For example, the bank I go to has a sign on the door "...no sunglasses, hooded shirts, helmets, hats, ski masks etc..." Just common sense.

sure common sense must prevail for security reasons (banks pports etc) but does banning something like the burka in public make us (the west) better or worse than the ones who 'force' others to wear one?

Live and let live I reckon. Ban the ban I say.

Archived