Tourist Visa - Penang - no probs

gobbledonk

Hi All,

You may have read various things re the requirements for the 60+30 day Tourist visa recently, the most alarming being some guff about people being refused a visa because their 'return flight' is to one of the countries surrounding Thailand, rather than their home country.

I can only conclude that this was an attempt to extort a few hundred baht from the folk in question, and I sidestepped all that by staying in my hotel room while my Malaysian agent did the legwork. I gave him:

- my passport

- 2 recent passport sized photos

- two signatures and my address in Thailand on the form he provided

- 50 Ringit

It would have cost me more than that to take a taxi to and fro the Embassy - they are currently charging '0 baht' for the visa after the Red Shirt debacle, so you might need to factor that into any future visa run.

All up, it cost me less than 10,000 baht (the Air Asia flights were packed) and I didn't have to sit on a train for 14 hours. That said, I am less impressed with the Georgetown traffic each time I go there, and its a long cab ride to Batu Ferringhi or Queens Bay - c'est la vie.

PM me if you want details re my agent, but I'm sure there are plenty of them in Georgetown.

Later,

Gobble

Many hotels in Georgetown will take care of your visa. It is a regular business with them. 50 Ringit (about 500 baht) is all they charge. I know someone whose hotel even got him a visa on a day the Thai consulate officially was closed!

I always enjoy a few days in Georgetown - great Indian food and always fun to roam around. But a few days is enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I would be very greatful if you could give me the name/adress of the agent, since everybody is telling me they are no loger allowed on the premises of the Thai consulate :(

Tried to find the PM button, but since I´m a first time poster it´s hidden perhaps!

Archived