The stunning decline of Barack Obama

Flashermac

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not understand the issue. Outside of the law-required Secret Service stuff, it was on her dime. Unlike Bush's many holidays and campaign tours on the taxpayer.

Does anyone see Paris Hilton lose popularity when she goes on holiday?

The issue is one of IMAGE. What the voters see is Mrs Prez going off to spend a lot of money IN ANOTHER COUNTRY instead of spending it AT HOME, where it would have stayed in the US economy. It's her money and she is free to do whatever she wants with it. But after all this is an election year and a lot of voters are out of work and pissed off at those who have much more than they need. She just reminded them once again that she does and they don't. Not a wise move. Also, the Secret Service is supposed to have been spending $75,000 per day to guard her and her friends.

As I said before, whatever happened to good PR? This trip certainly was just the opposite. :dunno:

p.s. And now I read the Dems in Congress are considering reducing food stamps to the poor once again to fund Michelle's great "Let's Move" plan. Gee ... how to win friends and influence people. Dale Carnegie had it all wrong. :p

At least we won't have to see Pelosi's face in the news every day after this election. The Dems are guaranteeing a Republican speaker of the House.

Here is the First Amendment to the US Constitution, for them what likes to cite it repeatedly. Notice it says "prohibiting free exercise" of a religion. And it refers to laws and the Congress. It does not guarantee everyone the right to build a religious edifice anywhere they choose (e.g. overlooking the site of the former Twin Towers).

Muslims - just as every other faith - are completely free to exercise their religion in the US. There are already many mosques in NYC. But what they are doing now is seeking to build a huge structure in a very emotional place ... and naming it after the Caliphate of Cordoba in Muslim CONQUERED Spain and Portugal. What a culturally sensitive name for an Islamic centre at the site of the 11 September mass murders committed by Islamic nutters. :banghead:

Since I have no intention to live in NYC, I really don't give a damn. But the insult is plain enough for all to see. Obie has clearly jumped in to a mess who should have avoided.

The catholic church is the largest private land owner in Manhattan (2nd place goes to Columbia Univ), so I am assuming that if the Catholic Church wanted to build a new edifice at the same site, you would be opposed to it?

It is also 2 blocks from the site, not overlooking. So how many mosques is too many? How far is far enough?

While people of good conscience may argue about the propriety of a mosque at this site, there is no argument that the government should have and does have no role in trying to promote or ban building of ANY religious building. Black letter constitutional law, which is what Mayor Bloomberg and Obama are saying.

You can't be in favor of the constitution only when it suits your personal views of right or wrong.

>Does anyone see Paris Hilton lose popularity when she goes on holiday?

Paris is NOT an US elected official or the spouse of one.

Paris does NOT have the taxpayers, paying for the US Secret Service to protect her.

HUGE difference between Paris and Ms. Obama.

Bloomberg did the right thing, dotting his i's and crossing his t's. I'm as pissed off at muslims as the next guy at the moment, but I place a higher value on our constitution. I reserve the right to change my mind, though, when the situation gets as bad here as it is in England.

In Islamic history its a tradition to build a Mosque in a place you Conquered are victorius. Even my muslim friends admit this. IT was politicaly stupid for Obama to weigh in,in support of the Mosque.Current polls have 65% of Americans opposed to the mosque and 52% of Democrats against it to. to me this is a slap in the face to America.I was supportive of Mr Obama up to this point, heres another Democrat mr obama lost.

Speaking of Paris, you might appreciate this Cav. I went to a paddle out memorial last year for an old friend at Malibu.

Brought a kid with me that was pretty much an ADD/addict.

Had a conversation with someone from the Hilton family on the way out. I had to ask the kid a few times if he even knew of the guy he just met.

Hotels? No. Barron Hilton, No.

Paris Hilton's uncle? "OMFG, why didn't you tell me who that guy was?" LOL

I think you Americans are very fortunate to have a President who defends the Constitution and stands up for what he believes is right, rather than sly Sarah and Sen Peter King (who btw for years supported the IRA) who would gladly trample over the Constitution to score some cheap political points.

Unlike my sad reps: Dubya's pet poodles John Howard and slime ball Tony Blair... "Yes, sir, no sir. How many allied soldiers do you want us to send to their deaths in Iraq looking for non existent Weapons of Mass Destruction... killing 1.2 million people in the process?... and all for nothing"

I found Obama's words stirring: "This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakeable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are."

If you discriminate against US citizens on the grounds of religion, you are on a very slippery slope. Hitler did the same against his own Jewish citizens. I know we're not talking Holocaust in New York, but the Nazis started off with petty discriminations too.

Al Qaeda terrorists through their political fanaticism and religious bigotry attacked American freedom on 9/11. If Americans become as small minded as they, then the terrorists have won.

BTW, there's also a strip club "New York Dolls" 2 blocks from Ground Zero... anyone complaining about that profaning the hallowed ground?

Archived