Thailand's perfect solution

waerth

BIG problems require big ideas to fix them and, in Asia, few problems are bigger than the red-yellow divide that bedevils Thailand.

Now four years old and no closer to resolution, the discord has been a huge problem in Bangkok: six governments in four years, hundreds dead as the military turns on civilians, crippling transport blockades, tourism in turmoil, a self-inflicted recession and a bitter billionaire hurling bile from exile. .....

read here: http://www.smh.com.au/business/thailands-perfect-solution-20100811-11zup.html

As I read this, and I think I get this because it passes as 6th grade economics. Give the proles more money to spend and they'll spend it. The more they spend the more we (the gov) make, ergo, higher salaries equals higher gov tax income. Why is this so difficult to grasp, it's barely 5th grade economics? If the gov also collects tax on interest earned, ala UK, then savings are essentially also taxed to the benefit of the gov.

Should we wake up or keep living in dreamland. Either way the worker pays.

"Trickle down economy" is what I have heard this called and from what I have seen, it does not work.

By the time the "trickle" gets down to the common people, there is nothing left.

Dude, Korn is proposing exactly the OPPOSITE of trickle down economics...

He wants to put money directly in the hands of the proles (ala the US stimulus) who'll spend it and make the economy grow (they have no choice, they have no money). We know this works. Trickle up, as God said.

Trickle down says give money to the rich and hope that they'll make more factories and maybe hire someone instead of stuffing it in their mattress or summering in St Tropez (you can guess which one wins out as a rule). We know this does not work.

Trickle up or trickle down neither one works. They

both amount to Gov. intervention in the economy. A

hugh percentage of the time Gov. intervention results in unintended consequences. While its hard

to argue against poor in Thailand receiving more.

Increased min. wage laws usually result in less

hiring and less forgien investment. And Thailand is in a very competitive part of the world and not

exactly at the top of the list. Higher wages is

one of the contributor to inflation and the poor

are positioned to get hit first and hardest.

I can not believe your advocating stimulus we just

witness in the U.S. that does not work. We had

hugh stimulus infusion and the economy is still

in the doldrums. Gubment intervention no work.

You think too Western. Look at Malaysia and Singapore for how Government intervention does work. Ignoring the IMF and imposing strict controls did wonders for MY economy after the 1997 crisis.

Lack of intervention is exactly how we crashed the whole bloody banking system.

And yes, I do think the US stimulus worked as well as it could after being crippled by give-ins by the Dems for stupid demands by GOPers. Without it, things would be far worse. But this isn't the thread for that discussion as it pisses non-US folks off. PT or new thread for response.

The problem here is that if you give them too much once they have bought all the toys, baubles and bangles they might spend the rest on education, and that's dangerous!

Nah, unless they manage to get into a name university (which few proles do), they won't learn anything that is very dangerous. Look at all of the taxi drivers around with degrees from Ramkhamhaeng, Sukhothaithammatiraj, the 54 ratchapat "universities" and the private "universities". In fact they may not learn much about anything except how to have a good time. :(

The alleged "elite" don't have to worry, as long as the average Thai doesn't change his attitude about learning and studying.

Archived