Extending 60 Day Tourist Visa

Savittre

My 60 day tourist visa expires at the end of August, so I'm going to apply for a 30 day extension. I have not done this before. From what I've seen on the 'Net, I'll need a visa extension form, which I think I can download, 1 visa photo, and a photocopy of my passport. I'm in Pattaya, so I'll need to go to the Immigration office at Jomtien, Soi 5.

Does it matter when I go to apply for an extension? I figure I'd rather do it sooner than later, in case my application is denied.

Are visa extension applications routinely approved?

What's the deal with visa overstays? I could probably use a couple of extra days over the 30 I'd get if my extension is approved, but could visa overstaying be grounds for denying entry to Thailand in the future?

Thanks!

Can't answer the visa process but the overstay I have some knowledge of.

A friend of mine overstayed (by 6 months) on a previous trip and has since made 2 trips back and had zero problems entering. Also, heard the same of others in this situation.

That being said, overstaying is NOT recommended and should be avoided. Make a visa run if you need a few extra days. You'll get 15 more days by doing a land crossing.

Cav, I think the 7 days you are refering to is what Immigration will give you on the 30 day visa exemption stamp or on the 30 day extention of the 60 day tourist visa. Getting a 30 day extention to the 60 day tourist visa is normal and should be no problem unless they have changed the rules very recently.

Simie.

I thought it was only 7 days, as well and it still costs 1900 baht. It might be worth your while to take a cheap flight to KL or Penang, return the same day, and you will get another 30 days. If you do a border run by land you will only get 15 days.

I thought it was only 7 days, as well and it still costs 1900 baht. It might be worth your while to take a cheap flight to KL or Penang, return the same day, and you will get another 30 days. If you do a border run by land you will only get 15 days.

Eyebee, I've just checked on the London Royal Thai embassy website and they clearly state that you can extend the 60 day Tourist visa for a period of 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand for a fee of 1,900B provided the total period of your single entry does not excede 90 days.

Simie.

Simie, you are quite right, mea culpa. I just found this on Thaivisa.com: A tourist visa is valid for 60 days and can be extended 30 days at the nearest Immigration office. Fee 1,900 Baht (as per 2003-08-26).

Apologies for any confusion. And see my sig.

You will get a 30 day extension at Jomtien immigration, no worries. Done it several times myself. Unless you've buggered the Chief of Police's daughter, it's just a formality.

Don't have to download forms; they've got plenty at the immigration office.

Get there early (8:30am) before customers and traffic builds up (if you have to travel over the hill from Pattaya.) You'll also need photocopy of passport and TM card... can get it done right next door to immigration. Plus 1,900 baht.

Overstay fee is usually waived for first day, but thereafter is 500 baht per day incl first day.

But in that brief overstay period don't get caught by police. You'll be sent to monkey house and deported. Heard of several horror stories on forums.

Good luck, mate.

:beer:

Simie, you are quite right, mea culpa. I just found this on Thaivisa.com: A tourist visa is valid for 60 days and can be extended 30 days at the nearest Immigration office. Fee 1,900 Baht (as per 2003-08-26).

Apologies for any confusion. And see my sig.

Eyebee, no problem, I just did'nt want the original poster to make a visa run trip when I knew he'd get the 30 days at the Jomtien immigration no problem.

Simie.

Archived